Cruises in New Zealand combine cosmopolitan cities with lush jungles, snow-capped mountains and fjords, plus white-sand beaches and coral reefs.
It’s no surprise that explorers, artists, writers and visitors have been coming here to cruise the South Pacific since at least the 18th century, when Captain Cook and his colleagues first arrived.
New Zealand is comprised of the South Island and North Island. The country boasts an abundance of natural attractions and recreational opportunities hard to rival.
Only in Auckland, for example, can cruise passengers board an America’s Cup yacht to sail past the America’s Cup Village, with its super yachts.
Cruise passengers also can retrace the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, visiting some of the best-known sites from the film, or cruise beautiful Milford & Dusky Sounds.
Though there are nuances among itineraries, most New Zealand cruises run 12 days or longer, and nearly all include a mix of cruising Australia’s east coast and Tasmania (the Australian island state) with New Zealand’s North Island and South Island. Some extended itineraries, often more than 30 days in length, also feature Asia.
Remember, with seasons reversed in the Northern and Southern hemispheres, the major cruise lines typically operate “Down Under” from November through March.
Be sure to see Avid Cruiser Voyages: New Zealand
Cruise Destinations In New Zealand
Avid Cruiser Posts, Photographs and Videos Featuring New Zealand.
- Seabourn Returns to The South Pacific
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Australia Cruises
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: New Zealand
- While I Get My Sea Legs, A Look Back: Cruising Australia & New Zealand On Silversea Cruises’ Silver Shadow
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: The South Pacific
- Cruising Down Under In Photos & Videos: Highlights Of Australia & New Zealand On Silver Shadow
- Just For Fun On A Silversea Cruise: Mountain Bike Ride In Picton, New Zealand
- A Lot Going On While Crossing The Tasman Sea: Silver Shadow Sights Sydney
- Silver Shadow Sets Sail: Goodbye New Zealand, G’Day Australia
- Beautiful Night For Cruising: Silver Shadow Sails Away From Wellington
- Silver Shadow Docks In Wellington, New Zealand: Scouting Seals On A Coastal Safari
- Stuck In Time: Silver Shadow Calls On The Self-Proclaimed Art Deco Capital Of The World, Napier, New Zealand
- Awfully Good To Be Back On Silver Shadow: The Journey Down Under Continues, Recap Of Part I
- From Silver Shadow In Tauranga: Touring New Zealand’s ‘Geothermal Wonderland’
- Silver Shadow Cruises Australia & New Zealand, Part Two: The Turnaround Party Tonight
- Silver Shadow Shore Excursion In New Zealand: Mission Estate Winery Tour, Tasting & Lunch
- Video: Silver Shadow Shore Excursion From Dunedin, New Zealand, The Taieri Train Gorge Railway
- Silver Shadow Cruises New Zealand’s Milford Sound
- Join Me On A ‘Cruiseabout’ To Australia & New Zealand