Cruises in the Australia combine cosmopolitan cities with lush jungles, exotic wildlife, white-sand beaches and coral reefs. It’s no surprise that explorers, artists, writers and visitors have been coming here to cruise the south pacific since at least the 18th century, when Captain Cook and his colleagues first arrived.
A continent and a nation, Australia features the desert expanses of the Outback, where you’ll find kangaroos, koalas, wombats and the platypus. Equally stunning is the Great Barrier Reef, an underwater wonderland teeming with marine life. Australia also boasts breathtaking cities, such as Sydney and Melbourne.
Often called the most spectacular harbor in the world to enter via a cruise ship, Sydney’s famed Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge await guests on deck and evoke the spirit of “G’Day!”
Passengers on a South pacific cruise can opt for flight-seeing excursions that afford stunning views of the Daintree Rainforest, Tasmania’s Mt. Wellington, and the Great Barrier Reef.
Cruisers also have a chance to explore inland. Cruisetours, which are tours offered before and after cruises, typically are offered in Australia and allow passengers to get deep into the Outback to admire the giant red monolith known as Ayer’s Rock and the ochre domed rocks known as the Olgas. Other cruisetours take pre- or post-cruisers to the Great Barrier Reef.
Though there are nuances among itineraries, most Australia cruises run 12 days or longer, and nearly all include a mix of cruising Australia’s east coast and Tasmania (the Australian island state) with New Zealand’s North Island and South Island. Some extended itineraries, often more than 30 days in length, also feature Asia.
Remember, with seasons reversed in the Northern and Southern hemispheres, the major cruise lines typically operate “Down Under” from November through March.
Be sure to see Avid Cruiser Voyages: Australia Cruises
Avid Cruiser Posts, Photographs and Videos Featuring Australia.
- Australia’s Kimberley Cruising More Popular Than Ever In 2020
- History relived in CMV’s South Australian maiden port visit.
- Kimberley Cruising with True North: On Wandjina Time
- Seabourn Returns to The South Pacific
- Sydney Hotels: Tank Stream Hotel
- Sydney Hotels: Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel
- Small ship cruise in Tasmania with Coral Expeditions
- Dispatches From Abroad: Sublime Sweden, An Expedition In Australasia & Pondering Alaska Through Poetry
- Exploring Australia’s The Kimberley Aboard Silver Discoverer
- Sydney’s Pier One: A Suite Spot
- Sydney Hotels: Mantra 2 Bond
- Pre/Post Cruise Hotel: The Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Australia Cruises
- First-Time Cruiser: Discovers The World At Sea
- First-Time Cruisers: Over-Stimulated At Sea?
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: New Zealand
- Cruising The Kimberley & Calling On East Timor On Orion Expedition Cruises
- The Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
- While I Get My Sea Legs, A Look Back: Cruising Australia & New Zealand On Silversea Cruises’ Silver Shadow
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: The South Pacific
- Cruising Down Under In Photos & Videos: Highlights Of Australia & New Zealand On Silver Shadow
- On Silver Shadow Down Under: Feature Video, Feeding Pelicans
- Swimming With The Tuna Where Great White Sharks Lurk On A Silversea Shore Excursion
- Silver Shadow Departs Adelaide Australia: Leaving The World In Its Wake
- Silver Shadow & A Golden Sunset Off The Coast Of Australia
- All Hearts On Deck: Happy Valentine’s Day From Melbourne, Australia, On Silver Shadow
- Cruising Down Under On Silver Shadow: A Day In Sydney
- A Lot Going On While Crossing The Tasman Sea: Silver Shadow Sights Sydney
- Silver Shadow Cruises Australia & New Zealand, Part Two: The Turnaround Party Tonight
- Feature Video: Kissing Tasmanian Devils, Hand-Feeding Koalas & Kangaroos, On A Silversea Shore Excursion
- Tasmania, Take Two: Our Silversea Cruises Shorex Shows Us The Port Arthur Historic Site
- Hand-Feeding Koalas & Kangaroos On A Silversea Shore Excursion At Tasmania’s Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
- Feature Video: Cuddly Koalas, Kangaroos & A Steam Engine Ride On A Silversea Shore Excursion
- Silver Shadow Docks Down Under: Steam Engines, Kangaroos & Koala Bears
- Cute, Cuddly, Koala
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: Silversea’s Saturday Sail Away From Sydney
- Bargain-Priced Business Class Air Upgrades
- Down Under At Your Doorstep: On The Rocks, Where You Want To Be In Sydney
- Seeking Summer: 20 Hours ‘Up In The Air’ To Cruise On Silver Shadow
- Join Me On A ‘Cruiseabout’ To Australia & New Zealand
- More Than A Luxury Cruise: Silversea’s NEW Overland Tours
- Australia: Murray River Cruising aboard PS Murray Princess
- Silversea Introduces Innovative ‘Mid-Voyage’ Land Adventures
- Adventures Abound As Silversea Heads Down Under
- Australian Outback Buffet: Garnish The Grubs, Pass The Maggots Please
- Choose Your Cruise: South Pacific Cruises
- Princess unveils plans for 2010-11 world cruises and other unique itineraries
- Top Seven Scenic Cruises