From the Amazon to Antarctica, cruises in south America offer a variety of experiences not often found in other cruise regions.
On such itineraries, you’ll typically spend two weeks on your South American cruise. Some ships overnight in the embarkation/disembarkation ports so that you’ll have time to tango in Buenos Aires or visit the wineries between Valparaiso and Chile’s capital, Santiago.
The continent of South America spans from the equatorial tropics to Antarctica, making cruises around south America quite diverse. On select South America cruises the mysteries and marvels of Antarctica are explored for three days of cruising, including the Neumayer and Lemaire channels, known as “Kodak Gap” for its dramatic scenery. Penguins gliding down icecaps into the sea and island-sized glaciers are ethereal sights that leave visitors in admiration of the secluded continent.
Voyages to the ice-capped fjords of South America treat guests to some of the most impressive scenery in all of travel. As albatross soar over the water, guests marvel at the unearthly beauty of the Chilean fjords via the Darwin Channel and Strait of Magellan. Another ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ adventure awaits those on the Chilean Fjords sailings — scenic cruising past historic Cape Horn. Passable at only certain times of the year due to fierce weather conditions, journeying to the Cape remains a milestone in sailing cultures.
Remember that South America’s seasons are reverse from North America’s, so the summer cruise season is staged during the North American winter.
Typically running 11 days or longer, itineraries include:
- From Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro either north to (and up) the Amazon River or south around Cape Horn to Valparaiso, Chile. Round-the-horn cruises are the most popular. TIP: A staff member for Celebrity Cruises told us that it is better to cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago. Coming the other way, her arrival at the glaciers near Ushuaia was at 5 a.m., the same time for the arrival at Cape Horn, the next day. Coming from Buenos Aires, we arrived in those destinations mid-afternoon to early evening.
- Antarctica: Small-ships specialize in voyages to the icy continent from Ushuaia, Argentina.
- Galapagos: Small ships offer cruises to these nature islands.
Also check out Avid Cruiser Voyages: Rounding the Horn
Be sure to see our videos and posts featuring Antarctica
For Port Profiles, Shore Excursions and What To Do In Port, click on the destinations below.
- Machu Picchu
- Montevideo, Uruguay
- Falkland Islands
- Salvador da Bahia, Brazil
Avid Cruiser Posts, Photographs and Videos Featuring South America.
- Celebrity Flora To Shake Things Up In The Galapagos
- First Look: Silver Cloud Expedition
- Shore excursion with Ponant: Papillon’s Devil’s Island Hell
- Silversea Announces New Galapagos Itineraries
- Puerto Montt And The Lake District Of Chile
- Buenos Aires – Paris in the Americas
- Bienvenidos A Santiago, Chile: Before Or After Your Cruise
- Cape Horn: At The Bottom Of The World
- On Seabourn Quest: A Diversion Meets With Disappointment, Then Something Remarkable Happened
- Silver Galapagos Live Voyage Report – Day 7
- Silver Galapagos Live Voyage Report – Day 6
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 1 – Arriving At The End Of The World: Ushuaia, Argentina
- Penguinology 101: Preparing For A Voyage To Antarctica
- Silver Galapagos Sets Sail
- Toward Further Enrichment: Silversea Partners With Royal Geographic Society
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Expedition Galapagos
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Rounding the Horn
- Islands In The Stream: What Is Your Preference? Big Caribbean Island Or Small Island?
- Snow Petrels and Showgirls in Antarctica
- Silver Explorer Shows Us Cartagena & The San Blas Islands
- Where Few Ships Have Gone Before: Relaxing In Los Roques, Silver Explorer Drops Anchor For The Day
- More Than A Luxury Cruise: Silversea’s NEW Overland Tours
- World Cruise Back In Vogue? Busy Booking On Silver Spirit
- Amazon Luxury: Piscos and Piranhas
- From Buenos Aires To Valparaiso, South America Surprised Us
- All Ashore: South America Shore Excursions
- Scintillating South America
- Silversea Introduces Innovative ‘Mid-Voyage’ Land Adventures
- Silversea’s new ship to sail with comedian Cleese and astronaut Sullivan on maiden voayage
- Cruise West releases ebrochure for 2010-2011 world cruise
- Regent Seven Seas making luxury more affordable
- Around the world in — 335 days?
- On-board spending credits extended to more Crystal cruises
- Princess unveils plans for 2010-11 world cruises and other unique itineraries
- Celebrity’s South America