Celebrity Cruises Reviews (Updated 2019)
If we had to choose one word to describe Celebrity Cruises, it would be “style.” Sailing some of the classiest ships in the premium segment of the market (and three expedition ships), Celebrity stands out for its appeal to nearly all age ranges and walks of life.
The line got its start in 1989 as a project of the Chandris family, who’d operated cargo and passenger ships in Greece and beyond since 1915. Celebrity made such a splash, so quickly, that it was bought by Royal Caribbean International just nine years later. It has operated as a sister line to Royal Caribbean ever since, while the trademark “X” in the line’s logo is a reminder of it’s origins: It’s really the Greek letter chi, for Chandris.
On the Cutting Edge: The Futuristic Celebrity Fleet
From the beginning, Celebrity has been known for high-end design, cutting-edge contemporary art, superior cuisine, and great spas. Fleetwide, the line offers a glamorous, exciting experience while also keeping its prices within reach of the mainstream crowd.
The line jettisoned the last vestiges of the 1990’s Celebrity when it transferred the former Celebrity Century out of the fleet in 2015, leaving only ships built since 2000 in the line’s primary fleet. Celebrity has also been hard at work updating its Millennium-class ships (think Celebrity Infinity , Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Constellation and Celebrity Summit) with features found aboard the line’s larger, newer Solstice-class vessels that include Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Silhouette and Celebrity Reflection.
Of course, these renovations are all part of The Celebrity Revolution, a half billion dollar renovation project that will update every ship in the line’s fleet – with the exception of the upcoming Celebrity Apex and new Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Flora.
Technologically Sophisticated Cruising
“Modern” is another word you could use for Celebrity. On the Solstice-class ships, you can check out an iPad from the guest services desk and take a self-guided tour of your ship’s art collection. iPads are also used as menus at the Qsine specialty restaurants aboard several of the Celebrity ships, and can even be bought duty-free on several Celebrity ships at the Celebrity iLounge, a high-style space where you can also take classes from Apple-certified staff, browse the web on MacBook Pro laptops, and buy other Apple gadgets. On Celebrity Edge you will find a control panel in each stateroom to control the lights.
Celebrity has also released a relatively new app. Though the app has been released, some of the features are still in development. With the finished product, guests will be able to use a chat feature to message each other, use their phone to unlock their staterooms, book services and excursions, and more.
Activities On Celebrity Cruises
Fleetwide, the onboard atmosphere balances enriching experiences with others that are just plain relaxing and fun. Foodies can sign up for culinary tours, wine and mixology events, and “Food as Art” demonstrations. Guests interested in fitness and health can take a seminar on Chinese herbal medicine or acupuncture; get an actual acupuncture treatment at the spa; or take a yoga, spinning, Pilates, or tai chi class at the gym.
There are also stargazing sessions, language-learning workshops, and talks by visiting experts from Smithsonian Journeys, tailored to the cruise region: archaeologists or art historians on Mediterranean cruises, marine biologists on Bermuda sailings, naturalists on Alaska sailings, etc.
And then there’s pure fun: dance classes, game-show-style trivia contests, karaoke, video game sessions, silent discos, and pool games — including pool volleyball matches between guests and the ship’s officers, who sometimes play fully clothed in their uniforms.
Evening Entertainment & Kids Programs
At night, Celebrity offers all the popular cruise entertainments, including Vegas-style musical revues, comedians, and passenger talent shows, but it’s the smaller touches that tend to stand out, like the a cappella singing groups that walk around the ship in the evening, performing in various lounges.
Lounges in particular are a high point for the line, which offers plenty of quiet spots to get away from it all during the evening hours. While the older ships have a clubby feel to them, the line’s newer vessels are futuristic and modern. Both, however, feel very soothing at night, thanks to some clever design touches like recessed lighting and backlit accents.
The Edge class ships offer a different style of entertainment – with a focus on immersive theatre. Celebrity Edge does offer the traditional nighttime entertainment option of a main stage production, however it does so with a twist. The stage in The Theatre protrudes into the audience, allowing for guests to feel more like a part of the production than like observers. Guests on Edge can also find entertainment in The Club and in Eden.
Read more about Celebrity Edge’s entertainment: Let Celebrity Edge Entertain You
For kids and teens, the line offers a supervised program with different activities for the various age groups. There’s also group babysitting in the playroom, both late nights and for a couple of hours on port days.
Dining On Celebrity Ships
Dining-wise, Celebrity offers a stylish experience, with modern touches spicing up menus that, on the whole, are on par with other mainstream lines like Royal Caribbean and Holland America. Dining service is excellent, and the line’s main dining rooms are uniformly stunning across the fleet. Guests can opt to either dine traditionally — at a fixed time, with the same companions every night — or choose “Celebrity Select Dining,” which lets you vary your dining time day by day.
In terms of specialty dining, the newer Solstice-class ships win the prize, supplementing their main restaurants and buffet with four specialty options each: the high-end Tuscan Grille for steaks and pastas; the European-themed Murano, featuring table-side cooking, carving, and flambé; Blu, a spa-cuisine option for guests occupying the ships’ AquaClass staterooms; and either an Asian restaurant or Qsine, which serves an eclectic international menu with super-creative presentations.
Along with style, Celebrity is known for its service, which rarely disappoints. In the restaurants, waiters and sommeliers are poised and professional, while cabin stewards are both friendly and precise. If you book a suite, you also get the services of a tuxedo-clad butler, who’ll bring you afternoon tea, shine your shoes, and otherwise make sure you don’t have to lift a finger.
Celebrity Cruises – The Fleet
Celebrity sails a fleet of ships that range from the Millennium Class — Constellation, Millennium, Infinity and Summit — to the new Solstice class: Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Silhouette, and Celebrity Reflection.
Celebrity Cruises ReviewsTo read a review of a particular ship, click the link under "Read the Review." If applicable, our Live Voyage Reports offer a day-by-day overview of an actual cruise onboard. In some cases, there may be more than one report, to be sure to see if your favorite destination is represented.
|Ship Review||Live Voyage Report|
|Celebrity Constellation Review|
|Celebrity Eclipse Review|
|Celebrity Edge Review|
|Celebrity Equinox Review|
|Celebrity Infinity Review|
|Celebrity Millennium Review|
|Celebrity Reflection Review|
|Celebrity Silhouette Review|
|Celebrity Solstice Review||Our voyage on Celebrity Solstice|
|Celebrity Summit Review|
|Celebrity Xpedition Review|
These People Will Love Cruising With Celebrity
- Those desiring a “taste of luxury.” Celebrity Cruises positions itself in the “premium” category, meaning that pricing is significantly below the “luxury” category and quality of service and amenities is slightly above the “contemporary” category. Still, Celebrity aspires to deliver “tastes of luxury.” On a Celebrity cruise, guests can expect chilled towels upon return from shore excursions, fresh sorbet served poolside, elegant tea service, 24-hour butler service in every suite and more.
- Classy Folk. Available only in certain categories of veranda-class staterooms, Celebrity Cruises’ ConciergeClass includes everything from priority embarkation, fresh flowers and champagne on ice upon arrival to a pillow menu, plush duvets and Frette robes.
- Spa Lovers. Celebrity Cruises’ AquaSpa offers an array of treatments inspired by rituals from exotic cultures. Celebrity cruise lines also delivered the first-of-its-kind experience, Acupuncture at Sea.
- Healthy Diners. Celebrity Cruises AquaSpa Café offers light, healthy fare in a relaxing environment.
- Lifetime Learners. Celebrity Cruises’ Discovery Enrichment Series program features lectures that range from finance and astronomy, to wine education and politics, to history and culture. Computer Training At Sea offers workshops and instruction help passengers enhance their computer skills.
Destinations Served By Celebrity Cruises
Celebrity Cruises currently serves destinations around the globe, with an emphasis on Europe, Alaska, and the Caribbean, the latter of which became a year-round destination for the line in 2017.Celebrity also provides year-round, expedition-style cruises to the Galapagos Islands.
- Australia & New Zealand
- Canada & New England
- Panama Canal
- South America
Avid Cruiser Posts Featuring Celebrity Cruises
- Five Reasons To Take A Cruise In 2020
- What Makes Celebrity Different & Hapag-Lloyd’s New Ship
- What Makes Celebrity Cruises Different?
- Avid Travel With Britton Frost – Celebrity Cruises’ Galapagos Itineraries
- Celebrity Cruises’ Galapagos Itineraries
- Cruising: The Case For Sustainability, Part Two
- Traveling With Children On Premium, Upper-Premium, And Luxury Cruise Lines
- Celebrity Equinox Undergoes The Celebrity Revolution
- Celebrity Cruises Takes Delivery Of Celebrity Flora
- Cruise Line Loyalty Programs, Part Two – Premium Cruise Lines
- Avid Travel With Britton Frost – Cruise Line Loyalty Programs, Part Two
- Celebrity Summit – Dining & Entertainment
- Onboard Celebrity Summit: Two Things I Loved & One That I Didn’t
- Avid Travel With Britton Frost – Live From Celebrity Summit
- Celebrity Unveils Details Of Celebrity Summit’s Complete Renovation
- Celebrity Edge Review (2019 Update)
- Renovation Of Celebrity Millennium Kicks Off Celebrity Revolution
- Celebrity Cruises User-Friendly Onboard App
- It’s Time For Dinner – On Celebrity Edge
- Let Celebrity Edge Entertain You
- Celebrity Edge Named By Godmother Malala Yousafzai
- Celebrity Edge – Expectation Versus Reality
- Avid Travel With Britton Frost: Celebrity Edge, Part 2
- Follow Me On Celebrity Edge
- Countdown To Celebrity Edge: My Top Five Anticipated Venues
- Celebrity Reveals Celebrity Edge Grand Plaza
- Celebrity Details Entertainment Aboard Celebrity Edge
- Celebrity Cruises To Renovate Fleet-Wide
- Celebrity Edge Will Boast 29 Food and Dining Venues
- At the Edge of Our Seat for Celebrity Edge
- Celebrity Cruises Hosts First Ever Same-Sex Wedding at Sea
- Celebrity Edge Inaugural Season Will Start Sooner than Expected
- Excitement on the High Seas: The Bold, Diverse Cruise Ships of 2018
- Celebrity Flora To Shake Things Up In The Galapagos
- Unique Itinerary: Cruising Japan
- Celebrity Constellation to Undergo Renovations
- Taking The Wraps off Celebrity Edge
- Comparing Celebrity’s Millennium and Solstice Class Ships
- Cruising’s Quest For More Varied Cuisine
- The Panama Canal, 100 Years On
- Dondra Ritzenthaler Talks About Celebrity Suite Class
- Your Alaska Questions Answered, Plus Our 2014 Alaska Guide
- New Cruise Ships Focus On Fitness
- Planning Ahead: Sampling Of Europe Cruises 2014, Celebrity, Cunard, Royal Caribbean & Princess
- What’s New On Celebrity Reflection?
- Upon Further Reflection: Thoughts About Celebrity’s ‘Modern Luxury’ & The Final Solstice Class Ship
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: The Cruise To Nowhere
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: The South Pacific
- The Avid Cruiser’s Take: Carnival Breeze Ship Review
- Solsticized Celebrity Infinity
- Top Ten Specialty Restaurants at Sea: Where Will You Dine Tonight?
- The Caribbean’s Most Up and Coming Cruise Ports
- Three Choices For Cruising The Great Land: Alaska In 2012
- Big Ship? Small Ship? Which Is Better For Your Caribbean Cruise?
- Shipshape Means State of the Art in Cruise Line Refits
- Celebrity’s Solstice: Best Of The Big-Ship Class In The Caribbean?
- Welcome To New York: The Avid Cruiser’s Full Celebrity Silhouette Ship Review With Video
- Catalina Island: 26 Miles Across the Sea
- Celebrity Silhouette Penthouse Suite: Video Panorama
- Back From Hamburg: Avid Cruiser’s Celebrity Silhouette Review With Videos
- Photo Of The Day: Celebrity’s Silhouette’s Hideaway
- Six New Things I Think I Will Like About Celebrity Silhouette
- What’s On At The Movies? Avid Cruiser’s Top Six Videos
- Celebrity Summit To Receive ‘Solstice” Style Makeover
- Celebrity Cruises FREE Stateroom Upgrades For Med Cruises
- A Year Of Living Lavishly
- Celebrity Infinity To Receive Major Revitalization
- Feature Video: Avid Cruiser Celebrity Solstice Review
- Is Celebrity Downgrading Its Main Dining Room Experience To Boost The Bottom Line In Its Specialty Restaurants?
- Celebrity Solstice, A Formidable Competitor To The Luxury Lines? One Person’s Perspective: ‘Crystal Light’
- Celebrity Constellation, Solsticized
- Constellation; Honningsvag
- Constellation Arctic Circle
- Solsticizing A Constellation
- Time-Lapse Video of Celebrity Eclipse Calling On Port of Cork
- Celebrity Cruises ‘Qsine’, The New Food Concept on Celebrity Eclipse
- In-Depth Alaska: Cruise + Tour = Cruisetour
- Cruise Line Dining: Ten Tips For More Rewarding Dining
- Celebrity Cruises: ‘Designed For You’
- Ship Make-Overs: As Good As New Ships?
- Cruising With Kids, Cruise Line Policies for Infants, Toddlers and Teens
- Most difficult voyage the first one for Celebrity Equinox
- Celebrity Millennium spruces up for the Alaskan summer
- Suite Surrender
- Celebrity’s South America
- Be The First On Board: Celebrity Cruises New Equinox
- Commentary: Crossing Lines: Big Ship, Small Ship
- Celebrity Solstice Photos
- explore, dream, discover
- Ship Report: Celebrity Millennium
- Celebrity Solstice: Celebrity’s Newest Ship Breaks The Mold
- Celebrity Solstice: A Ship To Celebrate
- Celebrity’s Newest Ships to Cruise Europe
- Read The Summer Issue of Avid Cruiser Magazine
- A Concierge Level Sampler
- Dining Destinations At Sea