UnCruise Adventures released its schedule of Alaska cruises for 2019 and opens the Alaska cruise season earlier with its first adventure cruise departing on April 6. Seven small ships sail 142 departures on 11 itineraries with a new Alaska’s Glacier Country itinerary sailing roundtrip from Juneau.
In spring 2019, UnCruise will feature 24 Alaska Awakening departures in April and May. Alaska Awakening highlights the benefits of spring and encourages visiting Southeast Alaska during the driest months of the year. On every Alaska Awakening departure, an Alaska Awakening Insider theme host will share their intimate knowledge of the land with guests.
“Our success with Alaska Awakening departures allows us to start our season earlier than ever before and show off more of Southeast Alaska in the springtime,” said Captain Dan Blanchard, CEO. “April is the new May, and May is the new June.”
Every Alaska cruise includes adventure activities in the wilderness—hiking, bushwhacking, kayaking, paddle boarding, skiff excursions and whale watching. With few port calls and flexible itineraries, travelers spend the week exploring and searching for wildlife. Knowledgeable expedition guides lead tours and provide interpretation along the way.
- Alaska’s Glacier Country – The 90-guest S.S. Legacy and the 36-guest Safari Explorer sail 36 departures roundtrip from Juneau with one day in Glacier Bay National Park. The itinerary also explores Icy Strait, Endicott Arm with Dawes Glacier, Fords Terror Wilderness Area, as well as searches for humpback whales in Chatham Strait and Frederick Sound.
- Northern Passages & Glacier Bay – The 76-guest Wilderness Discoverer, 60-guest Wilderness Adventurer and the 74-guest Wilderness Explorer sail 24 departures on a weeklong cruise from Juneau to Sitka (or reverse). Areas explored include Chatham Strait, Glacier Bay National Park, Icy Strait, Chichagof Island, Peril Strait, and Sergius Narrows.
- Glacier Bay Small Ship Cruise – The 60-guest Wilderness Adventurer sails five departures on a weeklong cruise roundtrip Juneau with two days in Glacier Bay National Park. Other areas explored are Icy Strait, Kuiu Island, Frederick Sound, and Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm.
- Glacier Bay National Park Adventure Cruise – The 60-guest Wilderness Adventurer and the 74-guest Wilderness Explorer sail 20 departures roundtrip from Juneau with three full days in Glacier Bay National Park. It also explores Icy Strait and spends a day in Haines with options for hiking or a float down the Chilkat River, and a presentation by local Chilkat Tlingit members.
- Alaska Yacht Bears, Bergs & Bushwhacking – The 22-guest Safari Quest sails 16 departures on an eight-night itinerary out of Petersburg, Alaska. The itinerary begins with an included hotel night in Petersburg, followed by a choice of fishing or flightseeing in the morning. Four wilderness areas are explored—South Baranof, Admiralty, Tebenkof, Stikine-LeConte Glacier—plus visits to the native village of Kake and Fortress of the Bear on Admiralty Island.
- Alaska’s Glaciers & Whales – The 88-guest Safari Endeavour sails seven departures from Juneau to Sitka and explores the twin Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm, Baird Glacier in Thomas Bay, and LeConte Glacier. Other areas explored include Frederick Sound, Baranof Island, Sergius Narrows, and the native village of Kake.
- Whales, Wildlife & Glacier – The 88-guest Safari Endeavour sails seven departures on an upper Inside Passage itinerary from Sitka to Juneau. This route explores Krestof Sound, Icy Strait, Glacier Bay National Park, Chichagof Island, and Lynn Canal. A day in Haines includes a raft trip down the Chilkat River or a guided hike, bikes for riding into town, and a shipboard presentation by local Chilkat Tlingit members. Combined with the Alaska’s Glaciers & Whales itinerary, it becomes a new two-week Alaska Glacier Cruise – Ultimate Expedition.
- Alaska Fjords and Glacier – The 76-guest Wilderness Discoverer and 74-guest Wilderness Explorer sail 20 departures from Juneau to Ketchikan (or reverse) visiting Misty Fjords National Monument, Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, Thomas Bay, Stephens Passage, Wrangell Narrows, and a stop in Wrangell for a visit to the totem park and Chief Shakes Tribal House. Travelers may combine it with the Northern Passages & Glacier Bay cruise for a new two-week Fjords of Alaska Cruise – Ultimate Expedition.
- Alaska’s Inside Passage & San Juans Cruise – The 90-guest S.S. Legacy, 88-guest Safari Endeavour and 76-guest Wilderness Discoverer sail six departures on this 14-night itinerary that travels from Seattle to Juneau or reverse. The route explores Olympic National Park, the San Juan Islands, and Canada’s Inside Passage before arriving in Ketchikan, Alaska. Continuing through Alaska’s Inside Passage, areas explored include Misty Fjords National Monument, Chatham Strait, Fredrick Sound, Icy Strait, Glacier Bay National Park, Petersburg, and Haines.