I never took time to understand the idiomatic proverb, “You can’t have your cake and eat it too.” At Vienna’s Sacher Café, you can have your cake, and you would be foolish not to eat it too. But I suppose if you eat it, you no longer have it. No matter. It’s still a silly proverb.
To plant your fork into a heavenly slice of Sacher-Torte is surely one of the world’s quintessential culinary and travel experiences. If you come to Vienna and fail to stop in at the Sacher Café, you can only hang your head low back home — or return to Vienna in order to remedy your lapse in otherwise good judgment.
I stopped in late Sunday night, after dinner at Figlmueller. At this late hour, only about half of the tables were occupied at Café Sacher, nearly all tourists, I assumed, having their cake — and yes, eating it too.
Next Post >>> Best Viennese Cafes
Previous Post >>> Inside Ritz-Carlton Vienna: Europe’s Best Hot Chocolate
Missed our first post? See Best Of Vienna: Where To Find The Best Wiener Schnitzel, Best Café, Best Cake & Best Vienna Hotel
See all of our Best of Vienna posts:
- Best Of Vienna: Where To Find The Best Wiener Schnitzel, Best Café, Best Cake & Best Vienna Hotel
- Best Vienna Hotel: Ritz-Carlton Vienna
- Inside Ritz-Carlton Vienna: Europe’s Best Hot Chocolate
- Vienna’s Best Sacher-Torte: Café Sacher
- Best Cafes In Vienna
- The Best Wiener Schnitzel In Vienna
- Best Romantic Moment In Vienna
Or launch our Flickr slideshow featuring Vienna.