Alex and I are in Paris, getting ready for the second part of our July vacation in Europe, a river cruise from Paris to Normandy’s Landing Beaches on Avalon Waterways’ Creativity. One of the things we’ll be doing is updating our review of Avalon Creativity for our sister site, River Cruise Advisor.
For now, however, we are spending a couple of nights at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. For the two nights that we are here, I used 100,000 Hilton points, saving me the €500 per night that was the lowest rate listed on the Hilton website when I checked a few weeks ago.
The rates aren’t always that high — I’ve seen rooms go for €150 per night — and this is a great hotel, so don’t write it off until you’ve shopped and compared.
Our room is huge thanks to an upgrade for Hilton Diamond members, a two-room suite with a corner balcony. And we have access to the Executive Lounge, which means complimentary snacks, and champagne — or wine, beer and spirits. The hotel is in a good location too, with the Arc de Triomphe only a little more than a five-minute walk away.
We’ll get a good dose of Paris this week. Avalon Creativity overnights on Tuesday, and there are some included tours that will show us even more of Paris in addition to what we’ll see tomorrow and Tuesday. Below is a rundown of our itinerary. Stay tuned for a day-by-day account beginning Tuesday night. And if you have advice for us on what not to miss — or if there’s something you’d like to know about Avalon Creativity or cruising this part of France, please don’t be shy: put your fingers to the keyboard and write to us.
Live Voyage Report
- Day 1: Cruising La Seine From Paris to Rouen Through Art & History On Avalon Waterways’ Creativity
- Day 2: Two Overnights In Paris On Avalon Creativity
- Day 3: Monet, Monet, Monet: Impressions Of An Impressionist’s Gardens In Giverny
- Day 4: Roses & Ruins In Rouen, And A Young Lady Martyred & Remembered
- Day 5: A Trip To The Landing Beaches & A Stunning Discovery At The American Cemetery
- Day 6: Conquering Richard The Lionheart’s Castle
- Day 7: Avalon Creativity Cruise Review: Seven Days On The Seine, Does Avalon Measure Up?