Sibling Serenity Canal Day Five

By Geoff Edwards

Our last day at sea before Caldera is pretty uneventful; lovely weather, smooth sea, and no pressure to do anything. Well, maybe some slight pressure to do laundry. The washers and dryers are just down the hall, I mean passageway, from us. There are six washers and six dryers. The washing machines add detergent with the press of a button. What button? Simple, right next to a sign is a small silver button. Not so simple, the sign says press silver button under the timer. The timer is on the top of the machine, the button on the bottom. O.K. It’s under the timer, but way under. Why, oh why, not just have the sign say “push this button”?

Vetala, our stewardess not only changes the sheets (not that they need it, you understand) every day, she also washes the glass to the balcony. How she keeps that cheery smile hour after hour is beyond me, but then this is Crystal.

Over the years I’ve learned not to argue with dinner companions, but I’m getting tested. I mentioned that Crystal Symphony is going for some sprucing up in June.

“No, it’s not! It just had that done,” both guys said at the same time.

I smiled and said, “Oh.”

I mentioned that we met a travel agent who saw a video on TV about the Canal widening. She told us that work will cease in four days as that will be the beginning of the rainy season. Having been through the Canal about a week ago, I could see that rain would cause rivers of mud at the different construction sites.

Guy one said “Yes the rainy season started in January and is almost over.”

I smiled and said, “Oh.”

Actually, I am not sure who to believe. Talking with her further, I found out she is with a high end travel agency in San Diego. I mentioned something about the cruise business and she said I can’t talk about it.

“We are a luxury only cruise agency and know things we are not allowed to discuss with anyone.”

I smiled and said, “Oh.”

The Neptune Pool area had another special lunch today. I found my perfect meal. As many raw shrimp as I could get on a plate, and several different meringue desserts.

Most tables are taken quickly when these special luncheons are served, but Owen and I went to the rear Lido Deck. We only lost two pieces of lettuce to the wind today. There are a couple of birds circling the ship. They’ve been with us for two days. Now I know why.

At breakfast there are two stations that do eggs and omelets. I go to the same one each morning. He does my “over easy” perfectly. As he is from Manila, I asked him how he was in Tagalog, Philippine’s national language.

He said, “Huh?”

I asked again and he still was puzzled. I then pointed to him and said, “Philippine.” Next I pointed to my mouth and said, “Tagalog.”

Once again I “how are you’ed” in Tagalog. He laughed and came back in Tagalog. English has just about become the native language of staff from the Philippines.

We were by ourselves at dinner. The group of four was dining in one of the other restaurants. Maybe they are tired of me and Owen. Two people at an adjoining table said they’d been watching us and would we like to join them for the rest of the cruise. I mean they are two feet away. What would we tell our table group?

“Oh, we are sorry, but we needed to sit a couple of feet closer to the window.”

Tomorrow Costa Rica.

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest

Our latest articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *