Get ready to be enriched. Silversea has announced that more than 160 of its voyages will feature nearly 200 distinguished guest lecturers, celebrated chefs and destination experts as part of the luxury cruise line’s most-expansive and varied enrichment program ever offered in a single year.
Complementing this record undertaking is the roll-out of new branding for the program — Silver Perspectives — designed to communicate the exceptional caliber of speakers selected to share their views and expertise with Silversea guests.
One such sailing with multiple guest speakers is Silver Spirit’s 15-day, Dubai-to-Athens World Cruise Segment 5109, departing April 18.
Highlighting the enrichment program are:
- Dr. Zahi Hawass, one of the world’s most famous Egyptologists and Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities in Cairo;
- Dr. Scott Pearson, an international relations expert and Harvard economist who has won several awards for his research and teaching;
- Gerald M. McCormack, a retired colonel of the Australian army who served in operational, training and diplomatic appointments;
- and Dr. Lew Deitch, destination consultant and semi-retired professor with over 30 years’ experience teaching geography.
- Also a Wine Series voyage, this sailing will be hosted by Philip di Belardino, the genial vice president of fine wines for leading U.S. importer Banfi Vintners.
And Silver Spirit’s 16-day World Cruise Segment 5110, Athens to Southampton, departing May 3, will also feature an array of guest lecturers, including
- Bruce Riedel, a senior fellow in foreign policy at the Saban Center for Middle East Policy of the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., former CIA analyst, counter-terrorism expert and author;
- Robert Lacey, British historian and biographer whose numerous international bestsellers include Majesty, considered the definitive study of British monarchy;
- and destination consultant Dr. Lew Deitch.
Also a Wine Series voyage, four wine experts will be on hand to share their expertise:
- Lyn Farmer, award-winning wine and food writer;
- Filippo Chia of Castello Romitorio;
- Felipe Gonzalez of Gonzalez Byass;
- and Rupert Symington of Graham’s and Dow’s.
- And Silversea culinary trainer David Bilsland will host the Relais & Châteaux L’École des Chefs cooking school.
- Plus, Silversea’s executive vice president of fleet operations, Christian Sauleau, will be on board to host the sailing.
In addition to previously announced luminaries such as Emmy Award-winning broadcast journalist Dan Rather (hosting Silver Spirit World Cruise Segment 5107), bestselling suspense novelist Mary Higgins Clark (hosting Silver Whisper’s Voyage 4102), and eminent Australian historian Geoffrey Blainey (hosting Silver Spirit World Cruise Segment 5105), a small sampling of other luminaries includes:
- Silver Spirit – February 12 -World Cruise Segment 5105 (Auckland to Sydney) Terry Waite: As envoy to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Terry Waite successfully negotiated the release of hostages in Iran and Libya during the 1980s. In 1987, negotiating the release of hostages in Beirut, Waite was himself taken hostage and held in captivity for 1,763 days.
- Silver Shadow – May 7 – Voyage 3109 (Shanghai to Tokyo) Li Cunxin: Born into utter poverty in Mao’s communist China, his astounding drive and relentless hard work made him one of the best ballet dancers in the world. The inspirational story of Li’s life is recounted in his bestselling memoir Mao’s Last Dancer, which has been made into a feature film.
- Silver Whisper – September 7 – Voyage 4128 (Southampton to New York) Alastair Bruce: A descendant of Robert the Bruce, he is the author of numerous books on British royalty and a commentator for Britain’s Sky News and the BBC. He is also a documentary filmmaker and was historical advisor to recent award-winning films such as The Young Victoria and The King’s Speech, as well as the new Masterpiece Classic television series Downton Abbey.
With its expanded enrichment programming, the company’s website now features a dedicated enrichment section with a listing of dozens of upcoming guest lecturers, including their photos, biographies and voyage dates.