Silversea Introduces Innovative ‘Mid-Voyage’ Land Adventures
Seven new land adventures are among dozens of extended mid-voyage excursions Silversea Cruises is offering in 2011. Unlike a partial-day shore tour, these single- or multiple-day inland adventures offer travelers a more intimate, in-depth and personal encounter with the local people, history, wildlife and natural attractions that lie just beyond the ports of call.
“We continue to develop new programs that will allow our guests to enjoy authentic onshore experiences,” says Darius Mehta, Silversea’s associate vice president of air and land programs. “These mid-voyage adventures are carefully designed to take guests further into a specific region, giving them plenty of time to actively engage in its scenery, activities and cultural heritage.”
Following is a sampling of the mid-voyage land adventures offered in 2011:
- NEW FOR 2011: “Kangaroo Island Luxury Eco Expedition” — Widely regarded as Australia’s Galapagos, Kangaroo Island is brimming with diverse wildlife and natural beauty. Enjoy luxurious accommodations at the Southern Ocean Lodge and a staff of naturalist guides to lead your exploration of the island’s unique attractions. Memorable sightings might include kangaroos, rare Cape Barron Geese, koalas and sea lions. To join this three-day adventure, guests disembark Silver Shadow in Adelaide and rejoin the ship in Melbourne. Priced at $4,799 per guest, the program is offered on Silver Shadow’s January 19 voyage (#3102), sailing roundtrip from Sydney.
- NEW FOR 2011: “Australian Frontiers & Train Journey” — Discover the heart of the Australian outback by rail aboard the glamorous Indian Pacific train as you watch unique landscapes unfold. Visit the opal-mining town of Coober Pedy, then travel to Adelaide to enjoy a culinary and wine adventure that takes in the famous Barossa Valley. To join this six-day adventure, guests disembark Silver Shadow in Fremantle and rejoin the ship in Adelaide. Priced at $7,799 per guest, the program is offered on Silver Shadow’sJanuary 19 voyage (#3102), sailing roundtrip from Sydney.
- NEW FOR 2011: “The Great Ocean Road” — Discover one of Australia’s great scenic coastline drives. The road was built by some 3000 returning servicemen and dedicated as a memorial to those killed in World War I. The Great Ocean Road passes through diverse and dramatic scenery with breathtaking mountain ranges, rainforests, national parks, historic ports and the famous Twelve Apostles, the craggy limestone stacks that rise from the Southern Ocean. This 12-hour program, priced at $269 per guest, is offered on Silver Shadow’s January 19 sailing (#3102) and Silver Spirit’s voyage of February 12 (#5105). Guests depart from Geelong and rejoin the ship in Melbourne.
- NEW FOR 2011: “Principality of Andorra” — Venture into the eastern Pyrenees and visit the tiny, landlocked Principality of Andorra. Although only about half the size of New York City, Andorra comprises a region of seven narrow valleys and is hemmed in by mountain peaks reaching more than 8,800 feet (2,700 meters). This one-and-a-half-day package, priced at $999 per guest, is offered on Silver Spirit’s May 3 sailing (#5110) from Athens to Southampton. Guests depart from and rejoin the ship in Barcelona.
- NEW FOR 2011: “Inverlochy Castle & Scottish Highlands” — Enjoy a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the legends and lore of the Scottish Highlands and discover what is considered by many to be Scotland’s most stunning scenery and important historic sites. A visit to a well-known distillery offers a taste of Scotland’s best-known national spirit, malt whisky. This two-day package, priced at $1,899 per guest, is offered on Silver Cloud voyages of June 25 and August 26 (#1118 and 1123). Participants will depart and rejoin the ship in two different ports, Edinburgh (Leith) and Invergordon, as determined by the voyage itinerary.
- NEW FOR 2011: “Solovki — Pearl of the Russian North” — Take advantage of this rare opportunity to visit Big Solovetsky Island, once a former Soviet gulag and today known as the “Pearl of the Russian North.” Visit the famous Solovetsky Kremlin and learn the history of the monastery complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This 12-hour adventure, priced at $1,299 per guest, is offered on Silver Cloud’s July 30 voyage (#1121), sailing roundtrip from Copenhagen. Guests depart from and rejoin the ship in Archangel.
- NEW FOR 2011: “Arequipa & Colca Valley” — The great Peruvian author Mario Vargas Llosa called it the “Valley of Wonders,” a land of imposing, snow-capped volcanoes, deep gorges, agricultural terraces, remote traditional villages and some of Peru’s most celebrated wildlife — llamas, vicuñas, alpacas and the rare Andean condor. This three-day package, priced at $1,829 per guest, is offered on Silver Whisper’s December 20 sailing (#4137) from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale. Guests depart from Matarani and rejoin the ship in Callao.
- “Expedition Antarctica” — For most globe trekkers, this is the ultimate destination. Fly by chartered aircraft to King George Island on the Antarctic Peninsula and discover the many natural wonders of the world’s last pristine wilderness. Memorable sightings might include penguins, seals and whales. This 13-hour adventure, priced from $6,899 to $6,959, is offered from Punta Arenas, Chile on Silver Whisper voyages of January 20 and December 4 (#4102 and 4136).
- “Camp Jabulani” — Indulge your senses in this tailor-made adventure trip to Camp Jabulani, set within the Kapama Private Game Reserve of Kruger National Park. Highlights include a ride through the bush atop an elephant’s back and an open-vehicle game drive through prime big-game territory that supports elephant, buffalo, rhino, giraffe, zebra and other species. This three-day package, priced at $4,999, is offered on Silver Wind voyages of February 10, 20 and March 2 (#2104, 2105 and 2106). Guests depart from Richards Bay and rejoin the ship in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- “Futuristic Brasilia” — Visit Brazil’s capital and you’ll discover a fascinating city designed for the twenty-first century, a masterpiece of modernist architecture and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Brazil’s finest designers, architects and artists were commissioned to create Brasilia’s monuments and buildings, which attract architecture aficionados worldwide. This three-day adventure, priced at $1,699, is offered on Silver Whisper’s November 8 sailing (#4134) from Fort Lauderdale to Rio de Janeiro. Guests depart from Fortaleza and rejoin the ship in Salvador.
The prices listed above are per person, based on double occupancy. The optional mid-voyage land programs feature deluxe accommodations (if overnight stays are required), all transportation, transfers, guided sightseeing and some meals.