As a clefs d’Or concierge at Hotel Concorde Berlin, Martin Rucinska’s knowledge of the German capital is more complete than any guide book you could purchase. His advice for getting the most from your Berlin visit:
Soak Up Some Opera: Berlin has the luxury of three opera houses but Staatsoper is THE opera house. It has the longest history and some of the best performances.
The other opera houses also are quite good.
- Daniel Barenboim conducting at the Staatskapelle Berlin is a magnet for opera lovers.
- Deutsche Oper, in the former west part Berlin, is the largest opera house and is known for its successful yet more conservative productions.
- Komische Oper in Mitte-area has been voted opera house of the year just recently. Though the operas are performed only in German, the productions are young, modern, provocative and extremely successful.
Want to go? Contact a clefs d’Or concierge at Hotel Concorde Berlin before leaving home to ensure you get good seats.
Martin’s tip: In August, Staatsoper broadcasts opera performances on the huge screen on Bebelplatz — free of charge. Grab a bottle of red wine, some snacks and a blanket and enjoy a summer evening with the stars under the stars.
How to spend one perfect day in Berlin: Wake up at noon in one of our cool suites overlooking Berlin, enjoy a late room breakfast in your room, rent a bike at the concierge, cycle to the flea market in Tiergarten, then to Mitte area for a late lunch at Monsieur Vuong.
Afterward, cycle across Alexander Platz toward the river Spree to Badeschiff to relax by the pool and listen to the DJ. Sip on some Caipirinhas before cycling to Kreuzberg Schlesische Strasse to see another scruffy Berlin quarter that has transformed into a trendy scene.
No time for sleep. Got to make the most of your one perfect day, so at midnight head to Berghain to celebrate until morning.
One perfect dinner:
- Gourmet: Ma Uma Shochu; Facil; Rutz Weinbar; and Hugos.
- Trendy: Grill Royal; Borchardt; Cookies Cream; and Rodeo.
- Celebrity watching: Mondo Pazzo; and Bonfini.
- Where no tourist will find you (both are near Hotel Concorde): Berlin-Sankt Moritz; and Al Sarago.
- Dance the night away: Cookies (same as Cookies Cream) only on Tuesday and Thursday; Weekend club on Alexander Square; Rodeo; Watergate; and Berghain with Panorama Bar.