The young port of Gdynia, founded in 1922, was the Baltic Sea’s largest port until 1938. In those years, Gdynia was a mere village, but the port gave rise to a city, which is why the city blends so well with the port. The city center features a wide avenue that leads to the Gdansk Bay.
Ships dock at Francuskie Quay, Polskie Quay, or Pomorski Quay. The first two quays are about one mile from the city center. The latter is near the waterfront zone that city residents refer to as “The Square.” The area features Poland’s best-known maritime symbols: Gdynia Aquarium, featuring the marine life and plants from around the world; and the Frigate “Dar Pomorza,” a three-masted frigate from 1909; ORP Blyskawica, a World War II destroyer. Within 15 minutes walking distance is a nature reserve.