I always enjoying coming ashore in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The city has the good fortune to be both a sizable metropolitan area and the gateway to a beautiful region.
Halifax boasts lots of attractions for tourists and, of course, that warm Nova Scotian hospitality. In Halifax, you’ll find culture and traditions brought here from the British Isles. In the city center, you’ll also find lots of beautiful parks. Be sure to take time to stop and smell the roses.
Halifax also has lots of museums and I enjoy the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 at the Halifax Seaport.
As a cruise passenger you will appreciate just how easy it is to step off the ship and into the Halifax Seaport with its shops, bars and restaurants and attractions.
Near Halifax, you can learn more about Acadian Maple products. 85 percent of the world’s maple supply comes from Eastern Canada.
Halifax is the final resting place for 150 victims of the Titanic. Following the ship’s tragic sinking, Halifax staged a remarkable recovery effort that is illustrated at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
I also visited Lunenburg, which was designated a (UNESCO) World Heritage Site in 1995 for its unique architecture.
My next stop was the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site, where I got to experience what it was like to be a soldier for a day as a member of the 78th Highlander Scottish Regiment.
Not far from Halifax is picturesque Peggy’s Cove, which has one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world.
Nothing beats a sailing adventure and you can do that right from the Halifax waterfront. You’ll see the beauty of the city from a different perspective, and you’ll learn a lot about the history of Halifax.
In Atlantic Canada, this is Ralph Grizzle reporting from Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Avid Cruiser Posts, Photographs and Videos Featuring Halifax.
- Our Newest Video: Cruise Canada New England
- Fall Foliage, Canada-New England Cruises
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Extended Canada & New England
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Classic Canada & New England
- All Hail To Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Looking For Something New? Cruising Atlantic Canada, Easy Access From New York And Boston
- Cruising Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Cruising Atlantic Canada: Halifax, Saint John, Sydney & Beyond
- Teaser For The Avid Cruiser Travel Series: Watch And Guess Where It Was Filmed
- New England and Canada Shore Excursions