A cruise to Antarctica ranks for many as the best cruise of their lives, a voyage to a place unlike any other on earth. Sailing through perilous Drake’s Passage, arrive in a magical place of icebergs a mile across, whales, elephant seals, albatross and penguins upon penguins. Excursions on Zodiacs take you ashore to penguin rookeries of 300,000 birds.
This is a journey that few in the world are fortunate enough to make. Travel to the ends of civilization while witnessing the sights and sounds of Antarctica that promise imposing views and once-in-a-lifetime encounters.
On select South America itineraries the mysteries and marvels of Antarctica are explored for three days of cruising, including the Neumayer and Lemaire channels, known as ‘Kodak Gap’ for its dramatic scenery. Penguins gliding down icecaps into the sea and island-sized glaciers are ethereal sights that leave visitors in admiration of the secluded continent.
Voyages to the ice-capped fjords of South America treat guests to some of the most impressive scenery in all of travel. As albatross soar over the water, guests marvel at the unearthly beauty of the Chilean fjords via the Darwin Channel and Strait of Magellan. Another ‘˜once-in-a-lifetime’ adventure awaits those on the Chilean Fjords sailings — scenic cruising past historic Cape Horn. Passable at only certain times of the year due to fierce weather conditions, journeying to the Cape remains a milestone in sailing cultures.
Tip: If you want a real Antarctic experience, choose a ship carrying 150 or fewer passengers. Larger vesssels don’t always have zodiac excursions and can’t reach the continent.
Avid Cruiser Posts, Photographs and Videos Featuring Antarctica.
- Watch 30 Seconds & You’ll Be Hooked: Our Video, ‘Epic’ Antarctica On Silver Explorer
- Final Posts On Antarctica: Summing Up The Trip Of A Lifetime & Why You Should Go
- Five Reasons To Cruise Antarctica On Silver Explorer
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Expedition Antarctica
- Recap Of An Antarctic Adventure & Four Reasons To Consider An Antarctic Cruise
- On Live Voyage Reports: The Race To Beat The Storm Through The Drake Passage
- On Live Voyage Reports: Drake Passage Redux: Calm Before The Storm?
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 8 – Visiting A Volcano & A Rough Ride Ahead?
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 7 – Ice-Choked Channel Causes Us To Miss Port Lockroy, But …
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 6 – The Polar Plunge & Vodka At A Remote Outpost
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 5 – Brilliant Sunlight, Beautiful Bay, Awesome Antarctica
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 4 — Destination: Mainland Antarctica, It Only Gets Better
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 3 – Today, A Big Surprise
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 2 – Sailing The Dreaded Drake
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 1 – Arriving At The End Of The World: Ushuaia, Argentina
- I’m Off To Antarctica, But First A Stop At The Christmas Markets In Germany On A-ROSA
- Penguinology 101: Preparing For A Voyage To Antarctica
- Antarctica On Silver Explorer
- Seabourn Quest: Geiring (and Gearing) Up For Antarctica
- Boarding In Barcelona: Seabourn Quest
- Toward Further Enrichment: Silversea Partners With Renowned Geographers
- 9 Questions For The Avid Cruiser, Tips For Successful Cruises, Family Cruising & More
- Snow Petrels and Showgirls in Antarctica
- Six Cruises To Do Before You Die
- Silversea Introduces Innovative ‘Mid-Voyage’ Land Adventures
- Princess unveils plans for 2010-11 world cruises and other unique itineraries
- Top Seven Scenic Cruises