A cruise to Antarctica ranks for many as the best cruise of their lives, a voyage to a place unlike any other on earth. Sailing through perilous Drake’s Passage, arrive in a magical place of icebergs a mile across, whales, elephant seals, albatross and penguins upon penguins. Excursions on Zodiacs take you ashore to penguin rookeries of 300,000 birds.
This is a journey that few in the world are fortunate enough to make. Travel to the ends of civilization while witnessing the sights and sounds of Antarctica that promise imposing views and once-in-a-lifetime encounters.
On select South America itineraries the mysteries and marvels of Antarctica are explored for three days of cruising, including the Neumayer and Lemaire channels, known as ‘Kodak Gap’ for its dramatic scenery. Penguins gliding down icecaps into the sea and island-sized glaciers are ethereal sights that leave visitors in admiration of the secluded continent.
Voyages to the ice-capped fjords of South America treat guests to some of the most impressive scenery in all of travel. As albatross soar over the water, guests marvel at the unearthly beauty of the Chilean fjords via the Darwin Channel and Strait of Magellan. Another ‘˜once-in-a-lifetime’ adventure awaits those on the Chilean Fjords sailings — scenic cruising past historic Cape Horn. Passable at only certain times of the year due to fierce weather conditions, journeying to the Cape remains a milestone in sailing cultures.
Tip: If you want a real Antarctic experience, choose a ship carrying 150 or fewer passengers. Larger vesssels don’t always have zodiac excursions and can’t reach the continent.
Avid Cruiser Posts, Photographs and Videos Featuring Antarctica.
- Seabourn Quest, A Beautiful Ship & Details Of Two New Ones To Come: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Humbled By Grandeur, Gigantic Glaciers: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- She Inspired All Of Us, Mobility Impaired But No Holds Barred: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- ‘My Brown-Eyed Seal': Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Caviar On Seabourn Quest’s Sun, er, ‘Snow’ Deck: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Rock, No Roll, Gentoo Penguin Nest-Building Habits: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Holiday Greetings: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Shopping On The White Continent, Yes Really: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- 50 Shades Of Blue, Icebergs: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- The Seabourn Difference On The White Continent: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Winter Wonderland, In Summer: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Our First Encounter With Penguins: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- From My Balcony, Icebergs: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- ‘Iceberg Ahead’ Our First Encounter With The White Continent: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Preparing To Cross The Drake Passage: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Cute & Woolly, A New Breed Of Penguin? Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Perfectly Paired Penguins: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- An Unexpected Diversion Causes Us To Chart A New Course: Antarctica Explored, A Photo A Day
- Serenity At Neko Harbor, A Place That Connects With The Spirit & Soul
- Penguin Video: Hear Their Voices, Watch Them Waddle, As Seabourn Quest Takes Us Deeper Into Antarctica
- All Continents Conquered: Seabourn Quest’s Guests Step Ashore On The Antarctic Mainland
- Penguins To Make You Smile, Exploring Antarctica On Seabourn Quest
- Penguins Greet Guests On Half Moon Island: Exploring Antarctica On Seabourn Quest
- No Need For TrepiDRAKEtion: On Seabourn Quest, Smooth Seas Across The Drake, Plus, Our First Iceberg Sighting
- Penguins & Pints: Seabourn Quest Calls On Port Stanley, Falkland Islands
- Headed Toward Adventure, A Stormy Night On Seabourn Quest En Route To Antarctica
- Watch 30 Seconds & You’ll Be Hooked: Our Video, ‘Epic’ Antarctica On Silver Explorer
- Final Posts On Antarctica: Summing Up The Trip Of A Lifetime & Why You Should Go
- Five Reasons To Cruise Antarctica On Silver Explorer
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Expedition Antarctica
- Recap Of An Antarctic Adventure & Four Reasons To Consider An Antarctic Cruise
- On Live Voyage Reports: The Race To Beat The Storm Through The Drake Passage
- On Live Voyage Reports: Drake Passage Redux: Calm Before The Storm?
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 8 – Visiting A Volcano & A Rough Ride Ahead?
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 7 – Ice-Choked Channel Causes Us To Miss Port Lockroy, But …
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 6 – The Polar Plunge & Vodka At A Remote Outpost
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 5 – Brilliant Sunlight, Beautiful Bay, Awesome Antarctica
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 4 — Destination: Mainland Antarctica, It Only Gets Better
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 3 – Today, A Big Surprise
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 2 – Sailing The Dreaded Drake
- On Live Voyage Reports: Day 1 – Arriving At The End Of The World: Ushuaia, Argentina
- I’m Off To Antarctica, But First A Stop At The Christmas Markets In Germany On A-ROSA
- Penguinology 101: Preparing For A Voyage To Antarctica
- Antarctica On Silver Explorer
- Seabourn Quest: Geiring (and Gearing) Up For Antarctica
- Boarding In Barcelona: Seabourn Quest
- Toward Further Enrichment: Silversea Partners With Renowned Geographers
- 9 Questions For The Avid Cruiser, Tips For Successful Cruises, Family Cruising & More
- Snow Petrels and Showgirls in Antarctica
- Six Cruises To Do Before You Die
- Silversea Introduces Innovative ‘Mid-Voyage’ Land Adventures
- Princess unveils plans for 2010-11 world cruises and other unique itineraries
- Top Seven Scenic Cruises