Many guided tours and cruise ship shore excursions provide excellent travel photography opportunities that are frequently missed. As frequent guest lecturers and invited escorts on tours organized by Oceania Cruise Lines and Regent Seven Seas, Anna and I have toured most world ports of call in the their amazing Mediterranean, Baltic, Atlantic, Caribbean, South American, SE Asian and South Pacific and Australian/NZ itineraries. There are some travel photos and videos in this post to help illustrate some of the following suggestions for getting better travel images while on tour:
1. Research your tour itinerary by reading the detailed tour descriptions and attend shore excursion presentations on board to learn planned visit locations in advance to help prepare your photography strategy and a shot list. Local tour operators can move you around quickly so always have your camera ready for those one in a lifetime photo opportunities. Practice your camera techniques before touring to avoid fumbling with your camera on site. David’s Travel Photography Tips and Techniques a 2 hour DVD from Amazon will help.
2. Locate yourself for uncluttered shots. If there is live entertainment or a cultural demonstration sit in the front or side of the audience to get unfettered action images. Consider walking about during the show to get different angles and distances from the action. All entertainers and presenters are willing to have their photographs taken You paid for the tour and presenters are paid by the tour operator their are paid as well so get your cameras out and ask. Be sure to capture locals in ethnic dress. Visit a previous Blog post about photography of people you don’t know for more.
3. Create a photo story of the tour to create more interest when you share your photography later. Capture the your guide, the sign on the front of the bus, flags, icons and symbols as well as the typical shots. Get establishing shots (the most common type), medium range shots and close-ups to keep interest. Review a prior post Travel Photography Tips for Cruisers – Part 1 for more hints.
Have a look at this slide show David’s photos of his recent Oceania Cruise Lines shore excursion tour of the newly opened Titanic Belfast Museum. (Our tour guide Ed Boyd is a professional actor as well and he made the tour fascinating by acting out the major players as they decided on the number of lifeboats to put on board)
8. When you come across an excellent tour guide or fabulous entertainersa tip is always appreciated and use that opportunity to get portraits of your guide and hosts with and without your travelling companions and be sure to hand your camera to someone to get yourself included in the fun and excitement of your tour photo story. Exchange contact information, be Facebook friends and send your photos to your new friends. Revisiting those magical ports of call and have new friends waiting for you makes travelling with your camera a must while on tour and on shore excursions.
Lisa of StepIntoFlorence is an excellent tour guide!
This YouTube video shows what happens when you hand your camera to someone else to capture your fun as your travel. … old folks jumping all over the world!
We have been travelling too frequently to keep the Blog current for the last few months but you can expect Blog updates from David and Anna Smith now about twice per month….
Permission to post this in its entirety on other Blogs and web sites is granted subject to providing your info and a link and credit to “David/Anna Smith of Interface Images - online world travel photo gallery “
Photo Workshops/Public Speaking
David Smith leads digital photography classes and digital camera workshops for beginner, enthusiast and professional levels in the metro Vancouver, BC regions and guest lectures on cruise ships and conventions worldwide. For more visit David Smith Workshops/Photography Training
Anna Smith leads textile arts and cultural handicraft workshops and speaks on exotic fabrics of the world. Visit Anna Smith public speaking and workshops
- Photo Postcards: Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Open For Bookings: Nearly All-Inclusive, Viking Ocean Cruises’ New Viking Star
- Photo Tour & Five Things I Like About Europa 2
- Pre/Post Cruise Hotel: The Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
- Seven Reasons Why Europa 2 Can Command The Luxury Cruise Segment’s Highest Prices — For Now
Idyllic Polynesia – a 5 min. video. Relax & Enjoy!
Subscribe to Avid Cruiser
Our Online Photography Courses