Silver Whisper Ship Review
Silver Whisper Overview
Launched in 2001, Silver Whisper was Silversea’s fourth ship, following original vessels Silver Cloud and Silver Wind, and her sister Silver Shadow. Measuring in at 28,258 gross tons and carrying 382 guests, Silver Whisper is small enough to offer an intimate cruise experience while also being large enough to provide a range of onboard experiences.
Like all the Silversea ships, Silver Whisper is designed with the vast majority of her public rooms located between midships and the stern, while staterooms and suites occupy the ship’s forward half.
Silver Whisper Public Rooms
In the stern on Decks 5 and 6, the two-story show lounge has tiered seating and a profusion of cozy seating clusters. Just outside the show lounge on Deck 5, The Bar is a social hub where a band or DJ provides music for dancing.
Farther forward on this deck is a small casino and the extremely cozy casino bar as well as the ship’s elegant boutiques. Two decks up, The Humidor is a dark, attractive room for cognac and cigars, with buttery leather armchairs. The Card Room, used for meetings and the card game Bridge (as opposed to the nautical Bridge), is on the same deck.
The Panorama Lounge, on Deck 8, serves a continental breakfast, afternoon tea, phenomenal sea views by day, afternoon activities such as trivia or dance instruction, and at night transforms into an intimate nightspot for dancing and piano music.
Next door is an internet cafe with computer stations for guests who are not using their own devices through the shipwide WiFi (charges apply). Adjacent is a library stocked with books, up-to-date newspapers in several languages and a selection of more than 300 DVDs that can be checked out for in-stateroom viewing.
At the top of the ship, the Observation Lounge is a relaxed room, offering views forward over the bow as well as books (in addition to the Library on Deck 8), maps and binoculars for guests who like to keep track of their course. Behind the Observation Lounge, the Spa at Silversea is a fairly spacious facility offering treatment rooms, men’s and women’s saunas and steamrooms, a fitness center and a beauty salon.
Outdoors, the resort-like Pool Deck is dotted with teak lounges, round wicker day-beds, and a pair of hot tubs, all arrayed around a pool that’s heated during cool-weather sailings.
Silver Whisper Dining
Dining is one of Silver Whisper’s great highlights, with four restaurants from which to choose. The main restaurant, called simply The Restaurant, serves contemporary, international cuisine at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with the latter featuring candlelight, dancing on some nights (and yes, guests do dance during dinner) and complementary (as well as complimentary) wines.
Wellness, vegetarian and “always available” selections are also available as are gluten-free products. On Silversea, special dietary requests can be made before sailing, and those requiring special diets will have the opportunity to meet with the chef upon embarkation to discuss their regimens.
For a more intimate (and extra-cost) meal, Whisper offers Le Champagne, created in partnership with Relais & Châteaux and serving six-course wine-pairing menus comprised of regionally inspired dishes.
At the casual end, La Terrazza serves buffet-style breakfast and lunch with seating both indoors and out. In the evening, it serves an Italian menu created on “slow food” principles — locally grown, sustainable, and fresh. Pasta and sauces are made fresh daily, using products from Italy.
The Pool Bar & Grill offers a Wellness Breakfast as well as casual lunches and dinners, the latter featuring the fun “Black Rock Dining” experience, in which guests can grill their own meat or seafood at their table on a preheated volcanic rock. The outdoor dining area is heated on cooler evenings.
Service is doting in all the restaurants, and if you’re not feeling social you can order lunch or dinner served course by course in your cabin, if you wish, from the day’s menu at the Restaurant.
Silver Whisper Staterooms & Suites
Staterooms/suites range from the 287-square-foot Vista Suites (they’re all located on Deck 4) to the 919-square-foot Owners Suite and 941-square-foot to 1,090-square-foot Grand Suites, the latter two categories of which offer separate living rooms and bedrooms, large teak verandas, marble bathrooms with separate shower and whirlpool tub, and the option of booking and opening up an adjoining standard accommodation for even more space.
Decks 6 and 7 forward features two Royal Suites, measuring 990 square feet, with verandas measuring 129 square feet, and the option to book an adjoining stateroom for 1,366 square feet of living space, plus an additional veranda.
Deck 7 features 13 Silver Suites, measuring 653 square feet to 701 square feet, including the verandas measuring 110 square feet to 123 square feet. Silver Suites are the Avid Cruiser’s favorite category for comfort, location and value.
The two Medallion Suites on Deck 7 measure 521 square feet, with teak verandas.
The vast majority of accommodations aboard are 345-square-foot Veranda Suites, with private teak verandas, marble bathrooms, and walk-in wardrobes.
All accommodations on board come with butler service, a bar setup stocked with your preferences, wifi access, European bath amenities, fine linens and down duvets, a choice of nine types of pillows, and a choice of aromatherapy fragrances created by Italian perfumer Laura Tonatto.
The Final Word
As with all of the vessels in Silversea’s fleet, Silver Whisper delivers a luxury cruise experience that would be hard to beat. Where Silver Whisper stands apart in the Silversea family is its size. For those who find Silver Cloud and Silver Wind too small, and Silver Spirit too large, Silver Whisper and her sister, Silver Shadow, are like the glass slipper that the charming prince slipped on Cinderella, a perfect fit.
Silversea Cruises ReviewsTo read a review of a particular ship, click the link under "Read the Review." If applicable, our Live Voyage Reports offer a day-by-day overview of an actual cruise onboard. In some cases, there may be more than one report, to be sure to see if your favorite destination is represented.
Articles About Silver Whisper
- Silversea Announces $170-million Refit Program
- History, Beaches and Opera: Sailing the Greek Islands with Silversea
- World Cruise 2017: A Roundup
- South African Cruise Q&A
- Quebec City and the Silver Whisper – Day 1
- Live Report Preview: Quebec City and Silversea’s Silver Whisper
- Silversea Introduces Early Booking Bonus Promotion
- Santander, Spain, Surprised Me: 20 Photos That Will Inspire You
- Silversea Launches New Silver Select Program
- Cruising The Caribbean & Saving On Silversea With Special ‘Silver Select’ Offers
- Featherweights: Best Small Ships Carrying 600 Or Fewer Passengers
- Updated: Our Luxury Cruise Reviews
- Visiting Olympia, Birthplace Of The Olympics On A Silversea Shore Excursion
- Silversea, Crystal Now Booking 2015 Luxury World Cruises — With Perks For Those Who Go ‘All The Way’
- Thoughts On The End Of Sweden, Silver Whisper, Eurodam and Breaking Away
- Docked in Dominica, Silver Whisper
- Silver Whisper Looking Good In Dominica
- Silversea Vision: An Interview with Ellen Bettridge, President of the Americas
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: A Day With Our Lisbon Tour Designer
- Updated: Avid Cruiser’s Silver Whisper Ship Review
- Pre/Post Cruise Hotel: In The Spirit Of Discovery, Altis Belém Hotel & Spa In Lisbon
- Silver Whisper Video: Departing Lisbon, Plus Details On Its World Cruise
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: The Butler Did It On Silver Whisper
- Nine Nights On Silver Whisper & A Lifetime Of Memories For Britton & Me
- Choice Accommodations: Silver Whisper’s Largest Suite Is Truly Grand
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: City Tour Of A Coruña
- A Choice Of Tours: Silver Whisper City Tour Of A Coruña, Spain
- A Solid Pour: Silver Whisper In Gijon Where We Were Amazed By The Cider Pouring
- Cruising Northern Spain On Silver Whisper: Exploring Basque Country
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: Bilbao & The Guggenheim Museum
- On Silver Whisper: A Special Shore Excursion To Bilbao & The Guggenheim
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: Silversea Cruises Shore Excursion, Hemingway’s Pamplona
- In Hemingway’s Footsteps, Visiting Pamplona, Spain, On A Silversea Excursion
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: From Bordeaux, Visiting Saint-Emilion
- From My Balcony: Morning Has Broken, Plus, A Trip To UNESCO World Heritage Site Saint-Emilion
- Silver Whisper Docks In Downtown Bordeaux
- Silversea Suite Choices: Personalize Your Space
- Luxury Equals Choice On Silversea Cruises
- In My Viewfinder: An Afternoon In London Before Boarding Silver Whisper
- Our Silver Whisper Itinerary Revealed: Southampton To Lisbon, Can You Help Us With Tips & Tours?
- Summer Of Fun: Running Through Airports, The London Olympics, River Cruising In France, Traveling With Teens
- Luxury Cruises: What Silversea Cruises Does Differently
- Silversea Opens The Books On 2013 & Offers Savings For 2012 Sailings
- Coming Next: Silver Shadow Cruises From Hong Kong While I Cross The Globe To Board Silver Explorer
- More Than A Luxury Cruise: Silversea’s NEW Overland Tours
- Silversea Cruises Announces Holiday Cruises
- Bill Bryson: Worth The Price Of Admission On Silver Whisper’s 2012 World Cruise
- Updated With New Photos: Silversea Cruises’ Silver Shadow Gets Major Makeover
- Silversea Announces New Partnership With Slow Food Promozione
- Moveable Feasts: Silversea’s Culinary Arts Voyages
- 2011 Resolution: Enrich Yourself Through Silversea Cruises’ Silver Perspectives Program
- What’s Cooking At Silversea? New Voyages Featuring The Relais & Châteaux L’École des Chefs Cooking School
- Big Shore Excursion Savings On Select Silversea Voyages
- Summing up Silversea Cruises Far East Cruise on Silver Whisper
- Vintage Video: Truly Asia Galley Buffet On Silver Whisper In The Far East
- Vintage Video: Cruising To Musical Malacca
- Vintage Video: Cruising To Kuching, The Cat City
- Vintage Video: In Brunei, A Visit To The Sultan’s Palace
- Vintage Video: Motorbike Ride Through Ho Chi Minh City
- Vintage Video: Cruising To Ho Chi Minh City
- Vintage Video: Silversea Cruises Far East Cruise On Silver Whisper
- Silversea Cruises Offers Special Savings On 26 Voyages
- Hot Until It Hits Your Mouth At Hot Rock Grill On Silver Whisper
- Photo Postcard: Midnight On The Baltic Sea
- Moscow, The Kremlin & Red Square On A Daylong Shore Excursion From St. Petersburg
- Head To Head In Helsinki: Silver Whisper & Silver Cloud, Old Friends, Family Meet
- Live Walk-Through Of Silver Whisper During Refurbishment In Genoa Shipyard
- There’s More to Cruising Than the Ship
- Sultan of Brunei’s Palace
- Touring Kuching, Malaysia
- Motor Bike Tour of Ho Chi Minh City
- The Razor’s Edge: Who’s The Best? Luxury Cruise Lines Square Off
- Silversea’s new ship to sail with comedian Cleese and astronaut Sullivan on maiden voayage