Silver Shadow Ship Review
Silver Shadow Overview
Launched in 2000, Silver Shadow was the first of Silversea’s second-generation ships, following original vessels Silver Cloud and Silver Wind. Measuring in at 28,258 gross tons and carrying 382 guests, like her sister Silver Whisper, she’s small enough to offer an intimate cruise experience while also being large enough to provide a range of onboard experiences.
Like all the Silversea ships, Silver Shadow is designed with the vast majority of her public rooms located between midships and the stern, while staterooms and suites occupy the ship’s forward half.
Silver Shadow Public Rooms
In the stern on Decks 5 and 6, the two-story show lounge has tiered seating and a profusion of cozy seating clusters. Just outside the show lounge on Deck 5, The Bar is a social hub where a band or DJ provides music for dancing.
Farther forward on this deck is a small casino and the extremely cozy casino bar as well as the ship’s elegant boutiques. Two decks up, The Humidor is a dark, attractive room for cognac and cigars, with buttery leather armchairs. The Card Room, used for meetings and the card game Bridge (as opposed to the nautical Bridge), is on the same deck.
The Panorama Lounge, on Deck 8, serves a continental breakfast, afternoon tea, phenomenal sea views by day, afternoon activities such as trivia or dance instruction, and at night transforms into an intimate nightspot for dancing and piano music.
Next door is an internet cafe with computer stations for guests who are not using their own devices through the shipwide WiFi (charges apply). Adjacent is a library stocked with books, up-to-date newspapers in several languages and a selection of more than 300 DVDs that can be checked out for in-stateroom viewing.
At the top of the ship, the Observation Lounge is a relaxed room, offering views forward over the bow as well as books (in addition to the Library on Deck 8), maps and binoculars for guests who like to keep track of their course. Behind the Observation Lounge, the Spa at Silversea is a fairly spacious facility offering treatment rooms, men’s and women’s saunas and steamrooms, a fitness center and a beauty salon.
Outdoors, the resort-like Pool Deck is dotted with teak lounges, round wicker day-beds, and a pair of hot tubs, all arrayed around a pool that’s heated during cool-weather sailings.
Silver Shadow Dining
Dining is one of Silver Shadow’s great highlights, with four restaurants from which to choose. The main restaurant, called simply The Restaurant, serves contemporary, international cuisine at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with the latter featuring candlelight, dancing on some nights (and yes, guests do dance during dinner) and complementary (as well as complimentary) wines.
Wellness, vegetarian and “always available” selections are also available as are gluten-free products. On Silversea, special dietary requests can be made before sailing, and those requiring special diets will have the opportunity to meet with the chef upon embarkation to discuss their regimens.
For a more intimate (and extra-cost) meal, Shadow offers Le Champagne, created in partnership with Relais & Châteaux and serving six-course wine-pairing menus comprised of regionally inspired dishes.
At the casual end, La Terrazza serves buffet-style breakfast and lunch with seating both indoors and out. In the evening, it serves an Italian menu created on “slow food” principles — locally grown, sustainable, and fresh. Pasta and sauces are made fresh daily, using products from Italy.
The Pool Bar & Grill offers a Wellness Breakfast as well as casual lunches and dinners, the latter featuring the fun “Black Rock Dining” experience, in which guests can grill their own meat or seafood at their table on a preheated volcanic rock. The outdoor dining area is heated on cooler evenings.
Service is doting in all the restaurants, and if you’re not feeling social you can order lunch or dinner served course by course in your cabin, if you wish, from the day’s menu at the Restaurant.
Silver Shadow Staterooms & Suites
Staterooms/suites range from the 287-square-foot Vista Suites (they’re all located on Deck 4) to the 919-square-foot Owners Suite and 941-square-foot to 1,090-square-foot Grand Suites, the latter two categories of which offer separate living rooms and bedrooms, large teak verandas, marble bathrooms with separate shower and whirlpool tub, and the option of booking and opening up an adjoining standard accommodation for even more space.
Decks 6 and 7 forward features two Royal Suites, measuring 990 square feet, with verandas measuring 129 square feet, and the option to book an adjoining stateroom for 1,366 square feet of living space, plus an additional veranda.
Deck 7 features 13 Silver Suites, measuring 653 square feet to 701 square feet, including the verandas measuring 110 square feet to 123 square feet. Silver Suites are the Avid Cruiser’s favorite category for comfort, location and value.
The two Medallion Suites on Deck 7 measure 521 square feet, with teak verandas.
The vast majority of accommodations aboard are 345-square-foot Veranda Suites, with private teak verandas, marble bathrooms, and walk-in wardrobes.
All accommodations on board come with butler service, a bar setup stocked with your preferences, wifi access, European bath amenities, fine linens and down duvets, a choice of nine types of pillows, and a choice of aromatherapy fragrances created by Italian perfumer Laura Tonatto.
The Final Word
As with all of the vessels in Silversea’s fleet, Silver Shadow delivers a luxury cruise experience that would be hard to beat. Where Silver Shadow stands apart in the Silversea family is its size. For those who find Silver Cloud and Silver Wind too small, and Silver Spirit too large, Silver Shadow and its sister, Silver Whisper, are like the glass slipper that the charming prince slipped on Cinderella, a perfect fit.
Silversea Cruises ReviewsTo read a review of a particular ship, click the link under "Read the Review." If applicable, our Live Voyage Reports offer a day-by-day overview of an actual cruise onboard. In some cases, there may be more than one report, to be sure to see if your favorite destination is represented.
Avid Cruiser Posts Featuring Silver Shadow:
- Alaska By Small Ship
- Burmese Days: Why 12 Days With Silversea In Southeast Asia Just Wasn’t Enough
- History, Beaches and Opera: Sailing the Greek Islands with Silversea
- South African Cruise Q&A
- Quebec City and the Silver Whisper – Day 2
- Silversea Introduces Early Booking Bonus Promotion
- Silversea Launches New Silver Select Program
- Cruising The Caribbean & Saving On Silversea With Special ‘Silver Select’ Offers
- Save On Silversea: ‘Silver Select’ Offers Upgrades & Credits In The U.S. & Canada
- Top 10 Highlights From Silversea Voyage 3403: Should You Cruise Indonesia?
- Day 10 On Silver Shadow: Singapore From My Suite
- Day 9 On Silver Shadow: A Relaxed Sea Day & Reflections On Shore Excursions
- Day 8 On Silver Shadow: Jumping Off In Jakarkta & A Special Air Offer On The New Silver Discoverer
- Day 7 – Semarang Overnight: Exploring Silver Shadow
- Day 6 On Silver Shadow: The Buddha & Me, 30 Years Later In Borobudur
- Day 5 On Silver Shadow: Exploring Surabaya
- Day 4 On Silver Shadow: Dining Mindfully & The Virtues Of Champagne
- Day 3 On Silver Shadow – Jet Lag, The Butler Who Does It All & ‘A Second Life’
- Day 2 On Silver Shadow – Riding Elephants In Bali
- Day 1 – Arriving In Bali, Boarding Silver Shadow
- Cruising Indonesia On Silver Shadow, Plus Saving $5,000 On Business Class Air To Asia
- Silver Shadow Voyage 3403, Bali To Singapore
- Featherweights: Best Small Ships Carrying 600 Or Fewer Passengers
- Updated: Our Luxury Cruise Reviews
- My Perspective: Silver Shadow, Ship Shape?
- First-Time Cruiser: Discovers The World At Sea
- First-Time Cruisers: Over-Stimulated At Sea?
- Avid Cruiser Video Sunday Featuring Silversea Cruises: Silver Shadow Ship Review
- While I Get My Sea Legs, A Look Back: Cruising Australia & New Zealand On Silversea Cruises’ Silver Shadow
- Silversea Vision: An Interview with Ellen Bettridge, President of the Americas
- Cruising Down Under In Photos & Videos: Highlights Of Australia & New Zealand On Silver Shadow
- Silver Shadow: The Avid Cruiser’s Video Ship Review
- On Silver Shadow Down Under: Feature Video, Feeding Pelicans
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: What Silversea Cruises Does Differently
- Swimming With The Tuna Where Great White Sharks Lurk On A Silversea Shore Excursion
- Silver Shadow Departs Adelaide Australia: Leaving The World In Its Wake
- Silver Shadow & A Golden Sunset Off The Coast Of Australia
- All Hearts On Deck: Happy Valentine’s Day From Melbourne, Australia, On Silver Shadow
- Luxury Cruises: What Silversea Cruises Does Differently
- Cruising Down Under On Silver Shadow: A Day In Sydney
- Just For Fun On A Silversea Cruise: Mountain Bike Ride In Picton, New Zealand
- A Lot Going On While Crossing The Tasman Sea: Silver Shadow Sights Sydney
- Silver Shadow Sets Sail: Goodbye New Zealand, G’Day Australia
- Beautiful Night For Cruising: Silver Shadow Sails Away From Wellington
- Silver Shadow Docks In Wellington, New Zealand: Scouting Seals On A Coastal Safari
- What’s Silver Shadow Like? Read Avid Cruiser’s New Ship Review
- Stuck In Time: Silver Shadow Calls On The Self-Proclaimed Art Deco Capital Of The World, Napier, New Zealand
- Awfully Good To Be Back On Silver Shadow: The Journey Down Under Continues, Recap Of Part I
- From Silver Shadow In Tauranga: Touring New Zealand’s ‘Geothermal Wonderland’
- Silver Shadow Cruises Australia & New Zealand, Part Two: The Turnaround Party Tonight
- Silver Shadow Shore Excursion In New Zealand: Mission Estate Winery Tour, Tasting & Lunch
- Video: Silver Shadow Shore Excursion From Dunedin, New Zealand, The Taieri Train Gorge Railway
- Silver Shadow Cruises New Zealand’s Milford Sound
- Feature Video: Kissing Tasmanian Devils, Hand-Feeding Koalas & Kangaroos, On A Silversea Shore Excursion
- Tasmania, Take Two: Our Silversea Cruises Shorex Shows Us The Port Arthur Historic Site
- Hand-Feeding Koalas & Kangaroos On A Silversea Shore Excursion At Tasmania’s Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
- Feature Video: Cuddly Koalas, Kangaroos & A Steam Engine Ride On A Silversea Shore Excursion
- Silver Shadow Docks Down Under: Steam Engines, Kangaroos & Koala Bears
- Cute, Cuddly, Koala
- Avid Cruiser Feature Video: Silversea’s Saturday Sail Away From Sydney
- Bargain-Priced Business Class Air Upgrades
- Down Under At Your Doorstep: On The Rocks, Where You Want To Be In Sydney
- Seeking Summer: 20 Hours ‘Up In The Air’ To Cruise On Silver Shadow
- Join Me On A ‘Cruiseabout’ To Australia & New Zealand
- Silversea Opens The Books On 2013 & Offers Savings For 2012 Sailings
- Thank You Silversea Cruises: J’adore la Chine, Cruising’s New Frontier
- A Complimentary ‘Silversea Experience’ In Xiamen, China
- Coming Next: Silver Shadow Cruises From Hong Kong While I Cross The Globe To Board Silver Explorer
- Silver Shadow Delivers Shanghai’s Many Surprises
- In My Viewfinder: Silver Shadow Docked Right Now In Shanghai City Center
- A Silversea ‘Value’ Shore Excursion: The Garden City Of Suzhou
- In Search Of Enlightenment On A Silversea Shorex: The Birthplace of Taoism
- (Silver) Sea View: Breakfast From My Balcony
- Live Voyage Report: Cruising China On Silver Shadow
- More Than A Luxury Cruise: Silversea’s NEW Overland Tours
- Silversea Cruises Announces Holiday Cruises
- Updated With New Photos: Silversea Cruises’ Silver Shadow Gets Major Makeover
- Silversea Announces New Partnership With Slow Food Promozione
- Moveable Feasts: Silversea’s Culinary Arts Voyages
- 2011 Resolution: Enrich Yourself Through Silversea Cruises’ Silver Perspectives Program
- What’s Cooking At Silversea? New Voyages Featuring The Relais & Châteaux L’École des Chefs Cooking School
- Big Shore Excursion Savings On Select Silversea Voyages
- Silversea Cruises Offers Special Savings On 26 Voyages
- Adventures Abound As Silversea Heads Down Under