Crystal Cruises Review
For a visual overview of Crystal Cruises, watch all of the Avid Cruiser video reviews in the player above.
Offering the best of both worlds, Crystal Cruises delivers an intimate, upscale experience but on ships large enough to provide many spacious public rooms and dining venues, plus the luxury segment’s most extensive repertoire of onboard classes, lectures and workshops.
Adding to the great value of a Crystal cruise, the line went all-inclusive starting in spring 2012, bundling alcoholic drinks (wine, spirits and beer) and gratuities in the fares, plus soft drinks, bottled water, specialty coffees and more.
See related article: Crystal Cruises Goes All The Way: All-Inclusive Beginning 2012
Carrying 922 and 1,070 passengers apiece, Crystal’s two ships, Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity, globetrot around the world with well-heeled mostly American couples in their 50s plus, spending significant time in the Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, and New England and Canada, as well as the Far East, the South Pacific and South America. The company also operates world cruises.
Dining On Crystal Cruises
Food, and the lavish table settings and smart service that come along with it, is a highlight of a Crystal cruise. Each ship has an elegant formal dining room with two seatings as well as three chic alternative restaurants: an Italian venue inspired by Piero Selvaggio of Valentino in Los Angeles and two pan-Asian restaurants featuring cuisine by renowned master chef Nobu Matsuhisa, including a sushi bar. Crystal Serenity also offers Tastes on the Lido Deck for casual dinners. Also see: Dining On Crystal Symphony, Prego & Other Options
See related video: Crystal Symphony’s Silk Road & Sushi Bar, But Is It A Real Nobu Experience?
The Bistro offers specialty coffees and a delectable spread of pastries, cheese and cold cuts. Evenings, The Bistro features petit desserts and cheeses.
There’s also a poolside grill serving everything from salmon burgers to tuna melts until 6 p.m. Enjoy the daily elaborate high tea service and the great themed luncheon buffets that are legendary in cruise circles.
Activities Galore On Crystal Cruises
Crystal’s impressive roster of activities is another high point. A typical Crystal cruise hosts four or five accomplished lecturers, from authors to politicians, scientists and other luminaries, as well as complimentary computer training classes, Berlitz language classes and Yamaha keyboard instruction.
Sign up for art classes conducted by the Parsons School of Design and wellness programs organized by the Cleveland Clinic and the Tai Chi Cultural Center. Further, there are dozens of themed sailings spread over the year and focused, food and wine, art, film, dance, jazz, wellness, and other subjects.
For more physical pursuits, large oceanview gyms are stocked with the latest equipment and offer complimentary classes like spinning, yoga and pilates. There are also golf-driving nets, a putting green, paddle-tennis courts, shuffleboard and walks along the 360-degree Promenade Decks.
Multiple entertainment venues include a theater for production shows, plus several romantic lounges, a dance club, a couple of bars and a spacious casino.
Family Cruising On Crystal Cruises
Of all the luxury lines, Crystal does the most for families with bright playrooms and supervised activities whenever demand calls for ages 3 and up. Teens also get their own space and you can borrow kiddy books and videos in the library. Anytime there are 10 children on the ship, there is a camp counselor, and on summer cruises, Crystal may have as many as 10 camp counselors and three different age levels for the programs – 3 to 8, 9 to 12 and teens.
Though considered the largest true luxury vessels in high-end cruise market, the cabins aren’t as roomy as they are aboard Crystal’s smaller high-end peers (ie, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Silversea Cruises, and Seabourn). Still, the recently refurbished cabins are comfortable, and all categories have a mini-fridge, exceptionally comfy bedding and in-cabin movies that can be checked out in the library.
Accolades For Crystal Cruises
For more than a decade running, readers of upscale travel magazines have given top honors to Crystal Cruises. The distinction is well-deserved for Crystal, which succeeds in its goal to provide guests with the finest luxury services available.
These People Will Love Crystal Cruises
- People who like to be pampered. Staff strive to make your Crystal cruise vacation the perfect one by anticipating your needs for luxury and pampering. You can expect superior service on Crystal Cruises.
- People who like to learn. From acting workshops to foreign language classes, Crystal Cruises offers its guests opportunities to enrich their mind, body and spirt.
- Healthy Diners. Crystal Cruises went trans-fat free in response to a growing public health concern that associates trans-fats with increased risk of coronary heart disease. Low-carbohydrate menus also are available for all meals in all dining venues.
- World cruisers. Crystal Cruises offers world cruises of more than 100 days.
What’s Included On Crystal Cruises
- All meals, from classic two-seating dinners in the main dining room to specialty dinner restaurants for more intimate evenings. Bottled water, soft drinks and specialty coffees are served complimentary.
- Fitness Center and Crystal Spa, featuring the high seas’ only Feng Shui-inspired spa. Readers of Conde Nast Travel gave top honors to Crystal Cruises’ spas, naming them World’s Best Cruise Line Spa. Complimentary instruction in such classes as yoga and Pilates.
- Entertainment, including dazzling production shows as well as celebrity entertainers and speakers. Watch movies on the big screen in the Hollywood Theatre.
- Course Work. One of Crystal’s most popular programs is its Creative Learning Institute, offering a range of classes and workshops to expand your knowledge in an entertaining, hands-on style.
- Alcohol and gratuities. See related article: Crystal Cruises Goes All The Way: All-Inclusive Beginning 2012
Destinations Served By Crystal Cruises
- Australia & New Zealand
- Canada & New England
- Northern Europe
- Panama Canal
- South America
- South Pacific
- West Coast
- World Cruise
Avid Cruiser Posts, Photos & Videos Featuring Crystal Cruises
- Six Tips To Extract More Joy From Your Cruise
- In Photos: What’s New On The Viking Longships
- Top Cruise Videos: From The Moselle To The Mississippi, Some Of Our Favorites
- Christmas With A Princess
- In Galveston, Texas: Checking Into Hotel Galvez Before Boarding Disney Magic
- Cruising The Kimberley & Calling On East Timor On Orion Expedition Cruises
- Arguably The World’s Most Comprehensive Silver Cruise Cruise Review
- Still Thinking On His Feet, Silver Cloud’s Much-Loved Maitre d’ Hotel Runs For Fitness & Fun
- Avid Cruiser Video Sunday Featuring Silversea Cruises: Silver Shadow Ship Review
- Scottish Highlander, The Slow Barge To Inverness
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: The World Cruise, Shorter Segments Can Provide World Cruise Excitement
- An Artist At Work On Crystal Serenity: Mediterranean Masterpieces By Valerie Freeman
- Summer Of Fun: Running Through Airports, The London Olympics, River Cruising In France, Traveling With Teens
- Son Shines In Summer: Winding Up Weeks Of Cruising On Crystal Serenity & Avalon Creativity
- Did Crystal Serenity Deliver? We Asked If Crystal Cruises Offers A Product Fit For A Teen?
- When Your Ships Calls In Civitavechhia Take The Train To Rome For €12, Return
- Crystal Cruises’ New Itineraries, An Early World Cruise Announcement & A Recap Of Our Cruise On Crystal Serenity – So Far
- A First In Recent History? Crystal Cruises Puts Three Years’ Of World Cruises On The Books At Once
- In 24 Pictures: Private Tours Often Provide The Best Value, Touring Positano & The Amalfi Coast, Plus A Spectacular Lunch
- For A Few Euros Less: From Sorrento To Pompeii On Our Own By Train
- Two Hours In Taormina: Serenity In Sicily
- Crystal Cruises’ New All-Inclusive: What’s Being Poured?
- Stairway To Heaven? 999 Steps To The Fortress Of Palamidi In Nafplion, Greece
- Explaining Crystal Cruises’ 12/9/7 Itineraries: Combo Itineraries & More Overnights
- Picture Postcard From Athens: A Day At The Acropolis
- On Crystal Cruises: Fit For A Teen? We Find Out As My 15-Year-Old And I Cruise The Med
- Avid Cruiser & Son Cruising Crystal Serenity, Fit For A Teen?
- Leaving Sweden, Boarding Carnival Breeze, Wrapping Up Crystal Serenity, North Cape Cruising, Arctic Expeditions And Buzzing In Social Circles
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 15
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 14
- A Cruise Across Sweden, Social Media Awards Roundup & Our Writers Back Home And At Sea
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 13
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 12
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 11
- Another Way To Arrive or Depart Stockholm: Cruising The Gota Canal, Plus Cruise Buzz & More
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 10
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 9
- Cruising Sweden, Stockholm Cruise Tips, Cunard’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations & More
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 8
- Canal Crossings, Cruising The World’s Oldest Ship, Prepping For Carnival Breeze, Like Us? Top 10 Cruise Line Facebook Pages
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 7
- New On Avid Cruiser: CruiseBuzz, Photography Tips, Our Team Of Intrepid Travelers & A Few Thoughts About Quirky Sweden
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day 6
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day Five
- Sibling Serenity Canal Day Four
- Avid Cruisers Here, There, Everywhere: What Are Your Summer Plans?
- Sibling Senerity Canal Day three
- Sibling Serenity Canal
- Top Ten Specialty Restaurants at Sea: Where Will You Dine Tonight?
- Five Reasons Why I Prefer Cruising On Small Ships
- Islands In The Stream: What Is Your Preference? Big Caribbean Island Or Small Island?
- Five Ways That Crystal Cruises Stays at the Top of the Charts
- The Caribbean’s Most Up and Coming Cruise Ports
- Shipshape Means State of the Art in Cruise Line Refits
- Crystal Cruises is Round Tripping in Quebec
- From Crystal Serenity: A Day Doing as the Romans Do
- The Original Celebrity Chef Dishes About Life at Lutèce
- My Dinner with Andre On Crystal Serenity
- In Florence: A Rare Antique Show in a Jewel Box
- Crystal’s Voluntourism Program Creates Unique Experiences
- Putting Nobu to a New Test on Crystal Serenity
- From Crystal Serenity: A Route Less Travelled in Venice
- First Look at Crystal Serenity’s New Look
- Follow Me and See the New Look of the Crystal Serenity
- Two-Minute Time Lapse: Transiting The Panama Canal On Crystal Symphony
- Who Operates The World’s Best Luxury Cruise Line?
- World Cruises: Cheaper Daily Than An Extended Stay At A Resort Or Owning A Second Home
- Crystal Cruises Offers Greatly Reduced Standby Fares On Five Sailings
- Crystal Cruises Goes All The Way: All-Inclusive Beginning 2012
- Video Recap: 11 Days On Crystal Symphony, 11 Video Reviews
- Fact Or Fiction? Crystal Cruises, World’s Best?
- Passengers Discuss The Value Of Cruising Crystal: Up To $1000 Per Person Credits
- Time Lapse Panama Canal: A Full-Day Transit In Less Than Two Minutes
- Crystal Symphony Begins Its Transit Of The Panama Canal
- Interview With Guests About Crystal Symphony’s Deluxe Staterooms
- Hungry For Sushi? Don’t Look At This Post
- Entertainment Aplenty On Crystal Symphony: And The Options Are . . .
- Dining On Crystal Symphony, Perfect Choice, Prego & Other Options
- Crystal Symphony, Engage With Us: What Do You Want To Know?
- Crystal Symphony’s Silk Road & Sushi Bar, But Is It A Real Nobu Experience?
- Crystal Spa, A Day Of Pampering – For Men
- Crystal Symphony, Video Recap Of The First Four Days
- Crystal Cruises, Meet The Tech Concierge & CU@Sea
- Crystal Symphony, A Video Walk-Through Of Its Staterooms & Suites
- Crystal Cruises, Activities That Are Traditional, Tried & True? Or New & Fresh?
- Tapping My Inner Artist On Crystal Symphony
- Happy Endings? A Tale Of Two Socks & A Luxury Cruise
- Crystal Cruises, World’s Best? Fact Or Fiction
- Crystal Cruises Panama Canal: Join The Avid Cruiser February 23
- Crystal Cruises To Offer Stieg Larsson’s Stockholm, Millennium Tours
- Deal Watch: Crystal Offering New Discounts On Autumn Departures
- Crystal’s Pacific Coast Spring Sailings
- Crystal Cruises Reduces Rates For A March Mexico Cruise: Less Than $200 A Day, Plus Spending Credits
- A Year Of Living Lavishly
- Crystal Symphony 2010 Mazatlan
- Crystal Symphony 2010 La Paz
- Crystal Symphony 2010 Cabo
- Crystal Symphony 2010
- Business Class Discounts For 2011 Europe Cruises On Crystal
- Avid Cruiser’s Most Popular Posts
- A Luxury Cruise For Less Than $200 Per Day?
- Celebrity Solstice, A Formidable Competitor To The Luxury Lines? One Person’s Perspective: ‘Crystal Light’
- More For Your Money? Crystal Cruises Onboard Credit: How Does It Compare To The All-Inclusive?
- To The Tune Of Tom’s Diner: Waiting On Something In Southampton – Epic
- Departing Dover On Crystal Symphony For A Ballads Of Britain Cruise
- Bye, Bye, Mexican Pie
- Help Wanted! Reader Advice For Luxury Family Cruiser
- Crystal Expands Dinner Options To Offer Open-Seating Dining (In 2011)
- 5,4,3,2,1 Whoosh
- Cruising Europe 2010
- Crystal Caters to Kids with Free Fares in Europe!
- Ship Make-Overs: As Good As New Ships?
- Cruising With Kids, Cruise Line Policies for Infants, Toddlers and Teens
- 10 Reasons To Cruise Over The Winter Holidays
- Small ships cater to kids too
- Beer In A Box
- The Razor’s Edge: Who’s The Best? Luxury Cruise Lines Square Off
- A Summer Of Luxury Cruises
- Extend that European vacation with a land tour before or after your Crystal cruise
- Eating Elsewhere: Reservations-Only Dining Venues On Ships
- On-board spending credits extended to more Crystal cruises
- New Northern European adventures offered by Crystal Cruises
- Dueling pundits to sail with Crystal
- Master Chef Nobu to sail with Crystal Serenity
- Luxury For Less
- A Roundup of Cruise Bargains
- Crystal Cruises, Regent Seven Seas: Dining At Sea
- On The Wishlist: World Cruises
- Take A Cruise, Learn Life Lessons
- explore, dream, discover
- Sushi At Sea
- Crystal Cruises’ Vintage Room
- Art For Sale: Crystal Cruises’ Art Gallery
- Read The Summer Issue of Avid Cruiser Magazine
- Our Ship, Your Office: Cruise lines keep cruisers connected
- Water World
- Remains Of The Day
- A(f)t Sea
- A Concierge Level Sampler
- The ‘New’ Crystal Symphony
- Luxury Cruise Report: Update & Trends
- Dining Destinations At Sea
- Cruising With Crystal Cruises’ President
- Crystal Symphony Category A Stateroom