Princess Cruise Reviews – Princess Cruise Ships
Los Angeles-based Princess Cruises has come a long way since the iconic “Love Boats” of 1970s television fame, maturing and stretching its wings far beyond what Captain Stubing could have ever imagined.
In fact, the Grand Princess of 1998 was the first cruise ship ever ordered that registered more than 100,000 gross tons, and today Princess is one of the largest operators of these post-Panamax ships, including the only line with such big ships sailing in Alaska. The brand also is one of the biggest tour operators on the Last Frontier, running its own hotels, riverside lodges, glass-domed private railcars, and a fleet of motorcoaches.
But while many things about Princess are very big, the line also operates a good number of ships—nearly half its fleet—that would be considered midsize and even a couple that by today’s standards are thought of as small, with only several hundred people aboard. What’s more, the line also was the first to make big ships more intimate and cozy with its philosophy of “Big Ship Choice, Small Ship Feel.”
Onboard the Princess Cruise Ships
Onboard, passengers will find a soothing and inviting mélange of influences, as Princess combines many different styles into a unique shipboard culture. Its California roots are evident in the line’s light and airy color schemes and interior décor. A British element permeates its officer corps, the result of a longtime association with P&O Cruises, the historic Peninsula and Oriental Steam Navigation Company founded in 1837. An Italian flair marks its dining experience due in part to an acquisition of Sitmar Cruises many years ago. Now part of Carnival Corporation, it is an internationally recognized brand name that does just about everything exceptionally well.
Princess has long been an innovator when it comes to redefining the cruise experience. They were among the first lines to popularize private verandahs for everybody (in 1998 aboard the Grand Princess), and more recently, they have introduced “Movies Under the Stars” on big poolside LED screens (in 2004 aboard the Caribbean Princess) and adults-only sanctuaries two year later (in 2006 aboard the Crown Princess)—both features imitated and adopted by other lines. The ScholarShip@Sea program raised the bar for onboard enrichment with up to 40 classes on every sailing. Passengers can choose from a range of topics—everything from cooking to computers to cameras to ceramics.
Princess Cruises Itineraries
With a worldwide reach of itineraries, Princess has long specialized in exotic cruises to the far reaches of the globe, from India to the Amazon and virtually every destination in-between, with an occasional foray to the waters surrounding Antarctica. Altogether, Princess visits over 330 ports of call on more than 130 itineraries, so the possibilities are practically endless.
Princess Cruises have something for everyone, with a large fleet of magnificent Princess Cruise Ships spanning the globe and providing a thoroughly comprehensive premium shipboard experience that can be combined with a vast network of shore excursions and land vacations.
These People Will Love Princess Cruises
- Who wouldn’t? That’s the question. Princess Cruises provide vacations to suit every preference.
- Kids and families: Organized activities and family fun are plentiful on the fully equipped Princess Cruise Ships.
- Refined guests: Princess Cruises knows how to deliver the unobtrusive luxury, as well as the onboard enrichment activities, that contribute to a memorable cruise vacation.
- Corporate meetings and affinity groups: The large and comfortable Princess Cruise Ships have meeting space and services to accommodate groups and meetings.
What’s Included On Princess Cruises
- Tons of fun: Get fit in the health club or on the dance floor. Relax on your cabin’s balcony or next to the pool. Join an organized shipboard activity or spend a quiet afternoon in the library. It’s your choice.
- Youth programs: The kids have their own age-appropriate and supervised activities that run from morning into the evening.
- Good food and lots of it: The small, intimate specialty restaurants do carry a reasonable per-person charge, but that still leaves dozens of dining choices that are included.
Life Aboard Princess Cruises is comfortable, casual, occasionally elegant, frequently fun and thoroughly enjoyable.
Princess Cruises Destinations
- Australia & New Zealand
- Canada & New England
- Hawaii & Tahiti
- Mexican Riviera
- Panama Canal
- South America
- World Cruises
Princess Cruises ReviewsTo read a review of a particular ship, click the link under "Read the Review." If applicable, our Live Voyage Reports offer a day-by-day overview of an actual cruise onboard. In some cases, there may be more than one report, to be sure to see if your favorite destination is represented.
Avid Cruiser Articles About Princess Cruises
- Princess Cruises Pulls Out All The Stops For Majestic Princess
- My Favorite Ocean Cruises of 2015, Part I
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 10: Ketchikan
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 9: Juneau
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 8: Skagway
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 7: Glacier Bay
- A Memorable Barge Experience, Plus Reports From Our Voyages, Past, Present & Future
- North to Alaska! Postcards from Star Princess
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 6: Hubbard Glacier
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 5: Boarding the Star Princess
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 4: Double Denali
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 3: Denali National Park
- Star Princess Denali Explorer, Day 1-2: Anchorage & Mt. McKinley
- A Love Letter To Alaska: Wrapping Up A Live Voyage Report Aboard Star Princess
- Dispatches From Abroad: Sublime Sweden, An Expedition In Australasia & Pondering Alaska Through Poetry
- On Live Voyage Reports: Star Princess – Alaska’s Inside Passage
- From Australia To Athens To Alaska, Three Live Voyage Reports In May From Silver Discoverer, Europa 2 & Star Princess
- Your Alaska Questions Answered, Plus Our 2014 Alaska Guide
- Simply Presented: Royal Princess In 15 Slides
- Sailing East: A Look at Cruising in Asia in 2014
- The Cuban Missive Crisis, Big Ships, & Defining ‘The Seabourn Difference’ — In Video
- On Live Voyage Reports: Arriving Montego Bay, Friday Sailing To Cuba
- Caribbean Cruising, Winter 2013/14, A Sampler Of Offerings
- Fall Foliage, Canada-New England Cruises
- Royal Princess Review: Is It A Ship For You?
- Reviewing Royal Princess: Photo Tours, Videos And A Super-Sized Ship Review
- Photo Tour: Royal Princess Pool Deck
- Photo Tour: Royal Princess
- Photo Tour: Royal Princess Restaurants, Plus New Lounges
- Photo Tour: Royal Princess Staterooms & Suites
- Photo Tour: Royal Princess Spa & Fitness
- Video: Up In The Air: 16 Decks Above The Sea On The SeaWalk on Royal Princess
- A Royal Affair In Southampton: The Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, Christens Royal Princess
- In Photos: Kate Middleton Names Royal Princess In Southampton
- Royal Princess, In Photos
- Continuing A Week Of Princesses, I Leave For London To Meet A Royal Princess
- New Cruise Ships Focus On Fitness
- Six Types Of People Who Would Enjoy A Royal Princess Cruise: Are You One?
- 51 Royal Princess Photos & The Regal Princess Float Out
- Recommended In Venice: La Fenice Theatre
- In Venice To Meet A Royal Princess
- Two Unbelievable Nights At The Gritti Palace In Venice, Italy
- Our Favorite Royal Princess Innovations
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Asia
- As Oscar Night Beckons, Our Top Cruise Videos
- Christmas With A Princess
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: The South Pacific
- Avid Cruiser Voyages: Extended Canada & New England
- The Avid Cruiser’s Take: Carnival Breeze Ship Review
- Five Reasons Why I Prefer Cruising On Small Ships
- Two Caribbeans: Which Suits You Best? Big Ship Or Small Ship?
- Islands In The Stream: What Is Your Preference? Big Caribbean Island Or Small Island?
- The Caribbean’s Most Up and Coming Cruise Ports
- Big Ship? Small Ship? Which Is Better For Your Caribbean Cruise?
- This Labor Day Weekend, Plan Your Next Family Cruise With Avid Cruiser’s Best Cruise Ships For Families
- Six ‘More’ Tips To Extract More Joy From Your Cruise
- Win A Dream Cruise Vacation: Submit Your Inspiring Video Or Essay
- A Picture’s Worth 1,000 Words: Big Ship, Small Ship: Silver Spirit, Grand Princess
- Video Stateroom Review: Best-Value Staterooms On Princess Cruises, Mini-Suites
- What We’re Reading: 50 Essential Experiences, Travel Bucket List Blog
- Helsingborg, ‘The Real Sweden,’ Say Grand Princess Passengers
- Cruising Europe 2010
- In-Depth Alaska: Cruise + Tour = Cruisetour
- Princess Exposed
- At the Piazza
- Ship Make-Overs: As Good As New Ships?
- Cruising With Kids, Cruise Line Policies for Infants, Toddlers and Teens
- Tahitian Princess: The Small-Ship Experience
- 10 Reasons To Cruise Over The Winter Holidays
- Princess scores coup with Declaration of Independence for July 4
- Princess adds cruise samplers to menu of West Coast itineraries
- Britain’s “Mr. Motivator” leads women back to bikinis on Ruby Princess
- Eating Elsewhere: Reservations-Only Dining Venues On Ships
- Leonard Maltin gives four-star review to Princess Cruises
- Choose Your Cruise Style: Big Ship
- Suite Surrender
- Alaska’s golden anniversary of statehood deserves special Princess treatment
- Princess unveils plans for 2010-11 world cruises and other unique itineraries
- Ruby Princess makes Christmas getaways
- Princess expands European realm for 2010
- A Roundup of Cruise Bargains
- On The Wishlist: World Cruises
- Take A Cruise, Learn Life Lessons
- explore, dream, discover
- Princess Cruises: Ruby Princess
- Paradise Found
- The Perfect Mix of Sand and Sea
- Paradise Found: Cruise Line Private Islands
- Dining Destinations At Sea
- Where Is THE AVID CRUISER?
- Princess Cruises’ Newest Ships
- Generoso Mazzone, maitre d’ hotel on Emerald Princess
- Gavin MacLeod, Still Captain of “The Love Boat”
- Erin Moran, Godmother of Emerald Princess
- Marion Ross On Gavin MacLeod (Captain Stubing)
- Marion Ross, Godmother of Emerald Princess
- Talented Acrobats Uber Rossi and Rudi Macaggi
- Love Lemoncello?
- The Incredible Uber Rossi
- Cindy Brady On Cruising
- Going With The Flo
- Emerald Princess Christening In Piraeus, Greece
- 4,084 Days And Counting
- Walking The Marble Road, Ephesus
- Touring Pompeii
- Day 3. Livorno: Chef’s Table
- Day 2. Monte Carlo
- Setting Sail: Emerald Princess
- Ship Short: Crown Princess