For close to a decade cruise lines have been trying to market winter cruises in Europe, with varying degrees of success. After a few false starts, it’s now safe to say that the notion of cruising Europe during its chilliest months is finally gaining traction in the minds of the traveling public.
Hurtigruten executives say that its coastal Norway voyages are selling at near capacity for all 11 vessels during the winter months, when travelers come to see the spectacle of the Northern Lights and go snowmobiling in the Arctic after midnight, as I did on a Hurtigruten voyage this past February (see Winter Cruising In Norway: A Shore Excursion After Midnight, Chasing The Northern Lights).
“We had a hard time positioning the winter, because the misperception was that winter in Norway was boring and dreary and cold and dark, so we developed this program called ‘Hunting the Light,’ because there is something very exciting about the winter — the Northern Lights, wildlife, very festive — and now January, February and March are our fullest months,” says Hans Rood, president of Hurtigruten.
Trouble viewing the video? Click here.
Christmas Markets winter cruises, as well as Thanksgiving cruises, are also selling out on vessels that are extending the season of river cruising in Europe. The trajectory of passenger growth during the winter is now on par with the rest of the year, says Torstein Hagen, chairman of Viking River Cruises. Other river cruise companies, such as Uniworld, AmaWaterways and Avalon Waterways also are reporting strong demand.
So don your winter gear and start planning your winter cruises in Europe. Winter may just be warmer than you think.
Christmas Markets Winter Cruises In Europe
- Winter Cruises In Europe: The Magic Of Christmas Markets River Cruises
- Viennese Coffee Culture & A Journey By Metro From Viking Odin
- In My Viewfinder: Christmas Markets Vienna
- Today On Our Christmas Markets Danube River Cruise: Visiting The Melk Abbey
- The Passau Christmas Market: Gluhwein, Sengzelten, Puppet Theaters & An Early End To Our Cruise?
- Under The Bridge? Viking Odin Two Inches Too Tall: With Water Level Receding, Will She Make It?
Winter Cruises In Norway
- The Avid Cruiser’s Top 5 Arctic Cruises
- Summing Up: The Avid Cruiser’s Take On Winter Cruises In Norway
- Video: Crossing The Arctic Circle On Hurtigruten, Arctic Circle Cruises Growing In Popularity
- Is Norway’s Coast More Beautiful Than Alaska’s? Judge For Yourself On Hurtigruten
- Picture Postcards: Cruising Norway On Hurtigruten
- Dancing With Aurora Under The Magnificent Glow Of The Northern Lights
- Winter Cruising In Norway: A Shore Excursion After Midnight, Chasing The Northern Lights
- The Blunted Sun, Welcome to The White Earth, Kirkenes, Norway
- Into The Wild: 0°F, Sunset At 2:30, Welcome To Cruising In Arctic Norway