We could not have asked for a better location to pitch camp for two nights in Lisbon following our cruise on Silver Whisper. Situated on the fabled Tagus River in the cultural and historic quarter of Belém, the five-star Altis Belém Hotel & Spa sits squarely between the two main monuments that represent the Portuguese discoveries: the Belém Tour and the Padrão dos Descobrimentos — and only a short taxi ride away from Lisbon’s bustling city center.
Why would you want to stay here instead of the city center?
- It’s Lisbon’s only luxury hotel on the Tagus River. Not only do you have beautiful views of the river, but it’s also perfect for walking and jogging. I ran along the wide, pedestrian waterfront for 30 minutes one morning taking in the sights along the river.
- The hotel features one of the two Michelin-starred restaurants in Lisbon: Feitoria Restaurant & Wine Bar.
- Downstairs, The SPA features a beautiful interior swimming pool, gym with Kinesis system and Techogym machines and lots of treatments.
- Upstairs is a Sun Deck and pool where we watched Silver Whisper sail away on the Tagus River. Check out Silver Whisper Video: Departing Lisbon, Plus Details On Its World Cruise.
- Small and intimate, the hotel features only 45 rooms and five suites with outstanding views.
Yes, the city center is ten minutes or so along the waterfront by taxi, but taxis are cheap in Lisbon. I paid only €12.50 to the airport from the hotel. And as noted, some of the attractions are within walking distance, such as the Belém Tour, the Padrão dos Descobrimentos and the Jerónimos Monastery, the latter being 1 kilometer or less than 15 minutes walk.
General Manager Anabela Bártolo told us that the design hotel celebrates the spirit of the Portuguese explorers. She invited us for drinks at Bar 38º41’, which she said is an important coordinate — and for much more than just the expertly mixed mojitos. Sitting outside on the riverfront, we learned that it was from here that the explorers charted courses to unexplored lands in the 15th and 16th centuries.
Her words were not lost on me as I gazed on the Monument to the Discoveries (Padrão dos Descobrimentos), just a few steps from where we were sitting alongside the river where Silver Whisper had sailed earlier, charting a course back to Southampton.
The continuity appealed to me. We sailed past the hotel coming in to Lisbon and stayed here to watch the ship sail away that evening, a perfect ending to a wonderful cruise.
Bottom line: The Altis Belém Hotel & Spa is a good choice for those who appreciate five-star luxury, Michelin-star dining, spa facilities and an outdoor pool, in a location along the river and close to the city center.
Learn more about the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa.
Watch Silversea Cruises’ Silver Whisper depart Lisbon, filmed from Altis Belem’s pool deck.
Trouble viewing the video? Click here.